Can I drive long distance with cvt slipping

Nissan is 2016
Cvt started not switching gears and was revving but I had it fixed to an extent by one mechanic and it actually drives past 30-40 now where it didn’t before but still revs to pick up to the next gear. I know it’s not entirely fixed and needed to move 4-5 hours north of where I am at and wanted to know could I make it if I drive nice and smooth without over pushing it ? Should I give it frequent breaks ?

Oh hell!

Go for it!

And then let us know if you made it!

(where’s that dope slap when I need it?)

Tester

3 Likes

Driving that far with a presumably loaded car will get the transmission quite hot. It wouldn’t be surprising for that to push it over the edge.

1 Like

Flip a coin is about the best odds you can get as no one can give you a definitive answer as to yea or nay on it getting there on its own.

1 Like

CVT’s don’t have gears to switch

There is no “next gear”

You should familiarize yourself with the principles of how CVT’s operate. They don’t “shift”. Whilst under acceleration the engine speed will rise to a certain point and stay they until you lift off the accelerator. When you release/ease up on the accelerator engine speed should slow down. When this is happening the CVT is progressively changing it’s effective ratio via moving a belt/chain between the input and output pulleys, there’s no gearset like you might find in a traditional transmission though.

3 Likes

7 Likes

A Juke isn’t a very big car. Consider renting a good size truck and towing it.

1 Like

I agree, it will make it there quite easily on a trailer behind a moving van.

There is a class action lawsuit with a planned settlement that extend the warranty from 5 years/60,000 miles to 7 years 84,000 miles on the CVT transmission. The failed repair attempt if performed by someone that might be suspected of damaging the transmission may make it difficult to take advantage of the warranty extension.

http://www.jukecvtsettlement.com/

2 Likes

If it really is “slipping” you can drive it just as long as it takes until it fails. And no one here can predict how long/far it will last until failure.

4 Likes

If and when it dies, do you want to spend a lot to fix trans?
Cross fingers and move?
Deal with it at new place?

1 Like

I can confidently say the car will get you as far as… the spot where it will be towed to a repair shop.

6 Likes

Lol the point of asking is because it’s unknown and that’s what you for to inform people who don’t but being sarcastic is a dumb approach I really don’t care if it was incorrectly written it was understood by everyone else which I am grateful for the answer unlike you you we’re useless

Sorry for trying to educate you on the operation of your own vehicle. A properly working CVT will seem to “slip” all the time if you’re expecting it to behave like a conventional automatic. Also most of the time if a CVT does have a significant problem, it gets replaced, attempts at repairing the existing unit are comparatively rare. However, since my explanation offended you, next time I’ll just make up some random non-specific BS and present it as solution to your problem. That way your sensibilities won’t be offended.

3 Likes

I see two options here. You will have to choose:

1. Load the car up and drive it. Knowing it may stop/fail at any point during the trip…or you may get where you’re going and have done further expensive damage to the car. So there’s cost in terms of money, time, and anxiety while driving.

2. Rent a Uhaul for all your stuff, and a trailer to pull the car to your next destination. Yes, it will cost money…but there’s less anxiety and a lower chance of breaking down at the worst possible time.

Point being…this is going to cost you in one way or another. You just have to choose where the risk will be highest.

2 bad words. Nissan trans. If it fails in a remote place you might have trouble getting help.

@FoDaddy actually gave the best piece of information you could get other than “flip a coin”…
oh well, one might want to keep it that simple…

1 Like

One of the reasons for the lawsuit is that these CVTs are not “rebuildable” and must be replaced by a New one for thousands of dollars. Because of the high failure rate finding a used one out of a wreck is a challenge.

Drive it to the nearest dealer. CVTs don’t shift gears. People don’t like the sounds that CVTs make so the CVT control has been programmed to make abrupt ratio changes to sound like a geared transmission. The dealer should be able to tell if the problem is in the transmission or in the programming. CVTs are a marvel of engineering but I don’t think I would want one in a car.

I just saw your post regarding your problem with your cvt. Comment says solved. But I did not see the solution that would be address your problem in a compassionate and helpful way. I did not read your OP or follow-ups from, but have you had your torque converter checked out? A faulty converter can cause the problems as you exactly described.

The OP wanted to know if he/she could make a 4-5hr. drive in a vehicle with known transmission problems. Since there’s no way to know whether the vehicle will survive the trip, the best answer is “Flip a coin.” My own suggestion was to tow the vehicle, seconded by others. I certainly wouldn’t risk driving it if I had a choice. If you had read the OP and the rest of the thread you’d know this is a question with no real answer beyond “Flip a coin.” Context matters.

1 Like