Can flat tire be repaired and how?

encountered another road hazard, this time a screw attached itself to the tire of
a pickup and caused a flat. Can it be repaired being so close to the edge and what
is the best fix, the tire has less than 20T miles on it.

I doubt if any tire shop will repair that but that is only going to be answered by a tire shop .

Tester

2 Likes

bad luck for me, i guess

the second flat tire within less than a year

i want a tire that’s safe to use

I agree it’s in the no-go zone, but if it means the difference between being stuck and repairing it just to get home. I know which one I would choose.

This of course assumes you carry tire plugs and a small air compressor however I do realize that I may be the only nut case who does this, but I’m not changing my ways now.

4 Likes

my spare tire is on, the tire shop is closed due to the pandemic, thanks

No road hazard?

1 Like

What’s your ride, and is it AWD or 4WD?

Also, you might drive through areas where tire damage happens often. At my last job, I had to go to a different building, about a quarter mile from my office. If I had to carry something heavy to or from that area, I’d drive. The most direct route took me past a scrap metal operation. Nails and screws ended up in the road frequently. After a while, I drove in the back way to avoid the tire damage. Everyone that worked down there did the same thing.

If you bought road hazard protection when you bought the tire, they will either repair it or they will prorate a replacement tire based on either the mileage or the tread depth.

If you didn’t buy road hazard protection, you can go to any big box store or auto parts store, buy a tire plugging kit, and try to repair it yourself.

Coincidentally, I had a similar experience. I was getting flat tires on my motorcycle at an increased rate, for punctures in six weeks. Eventually, I realized why. I was using the bicycle lane on campus to ride around the speed bumps, and I was collecting road debris in my tires when I swerved over to the edge of the road. Since I stopped doing that, I haven’t had a single flat tire. [Knocks on wood]

I used to have a tire plug kit in eack car. now I have one in the car and one in the garage, and a cheap compressor under the seat, but I would only plug that one to get me home or to the tire store. That one is not even borderline repairable.

would the road hazard coverage with the car insurance, or car manufacturer?

it’s still the original tire when purchased new

check the information in your owners manual packet (ie the owners manual and all of the other stuff they put in there with the manual itself). it should have the tire warranty information in there

You would have had to purchase the tire road hazard insurance separately, it doesn’t come with a new vehicle.

1 Like

i will get a new tire, the flat occurred in my driveway, it’s a big screw and as you see

right at the tire shoulder

the screw looks a lot like I have on the riding lawn mower, I need to check it out.

3 Likes

Just to make you feel better, 20,000 miles on an original tire is about 2/3rds used up. I hardly ever get more than 30K on original tires before they get down to 5 and should be replaced before winter.

2 Likes

I’ve never bought the road hazard insurance, doing without has saved me the cost of several tires over the last 40 years. I had one time it would have been nice to have, but that was on the original tire for the car, so I wouldn’t have had that covered anyway.

I’ve had the opposite experience. I buy road hazard coverage with each set of new tires, and it has always paid for itself, sometimes several times over since they started patching tires from the inside. It’s something I miss when I inherit tires on a new or used vehicle.

I guess we have different luck when it comes to tire punctures from road debris.

IF you get road hazard insurance from the tire seller, don’t you have to go back to the original store (or chain of stores) to use the insurance? I always figured I’d get a flat too far away from a place that would honor the insurance claim.