Screw in tire - can I fix it with a plug?

is location safe for a plug?

3mtkyt38hlt81

Tester

thanks, I measured, the screw is just past 1/2" from the tread’s edge, very close

For a tire like yours, they will use the tread groves as a guide for the “repairable area”.

tire-repair

going by this tire, similar to mine, the repair is not recommended, I was going to use a
slime repair kit

who do mean by “they”, the repair shop?

I would take it by a local tire shop and see what they say. I do that for tire repairs anyway (except in a pinch or for a tire near the end of it’s life), because I want a plug, plus internal patch, plus re-balance.

2 Likes

Thanks, I called a tire shop to inquire about the service, they don’t do plugs, they fix the puncture with an internal patch, they do not rebalance, I plan to go by with the tire.

I predict the response will be: $125 to $200 for a new tire.

Don’t bring the tire to that shop to get repaired.

Tester

I can do the plug with the slime repair kit but not the inside sealing as mentioned in the video, I was planning for a diy.

Don’t be surprised if you need to have the tire rebalanced after using that sealant.
And, if you then take it to a tire shop for a proper plug/patch repair, they will likely charge you for the removal of that mess inside the tire.

A tire will not balance out with liquid inside it, every time you spin it on the balancer you will get a different reading… And most of the time a patch will not hold after fix-a-flat has been used…

A combo patch/plug is the only proper repair for a tire, and the OP’s looks to be close for repair… A patch to close to the edge can pop and suddenly deflate… If it had road hazard I would warranty (adjustment) it out for safety and liability reasons…

And if you have TPMS sensors, the slime can stop up that tiny hole the sensor has in order to know what the pressure is, remember fox a flat only knows to stop up littles holes… I have seen it kill many sensors over the years…

2 Likes

You can use a rope plug at your own risk, the tire will probably be ok. Tires with rope plugs are considered to be non-serviceable by the tire industry: scrap.

If I had the problem myself, given the wear on the existng tire, I wouldn’t bother with a repair. Instead I buy another tire or pair of tires. If I couldn’t afford a new tire and willing to take the risk of a repair, I still wouldn’t fix it with a plug or sliming the inside . I’d remove the tire from the rim, remove the screw, than apply a patch on the inside. I’d check and if necessary rebalance before installing the wheel again. If you reinstall the patched tire w/the same orientation to the rim, pretty good chance no re-balancing will be necessary.

If you’ve never diy’er removed a tire from a rim, that will likely prove quite a challenge. Maybe you know someone who can provide an assist for that part of the job. Harbor Freight sells a fairly inexpensive tire-changing gadget. That’s what I use.

As small as that screw looks, it may not even be leaking.

I agree with @George_San_Jose1. The tire is about worn down to the wear bars. It’s time to replace that tire and at least the other front tire. If the rear tires have similar wear they should be replaced too.

The whole point of doing a plug/patch combination repair is to seal both the outside and the inside. A plug doesn’t do the inside well enough and the slime doesn’t do the outside at all!

1 Like

thanks, I decided to replace the tire because of the depth of the tire tread, did the Lincoln head penny test. Some suggested that the
tire looks like it could be replaced.

1 Like

I will keep that in mind. Thanks.