Can anyone identify this noise?

I have a 2009 Kia Spectra with approx 35k miles. Tonight, I noticed a high pitched whistling noise when I was driving. It happened more often when I first started driving and would eventually go away at times. It also would stop making the noise when I put on the brakes. Does anyone have any idea what would cause such a noise, what kind of repair would be necessary to fix it, and if it is expensive ? I appreciate any advice you can give me. Thank you.

It sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere. I suggest you hunt this one down sooner than later as there may not be a later. Your brakes use vacuum so if that leak becomes larger it could make stopping your car a lot harder, most likely at just the wrong time.

The brake pad wear indicator makes a high-pitched squeal that stops when you step on the brake pedal.

I suggest having someone look at the brake pads. It may be time for new ones.

mcp has almost certainly nailed it. Don’t wait - if you wear through the pads you will not only lose significant braking power but will also ruin your rotors.

I drove it around town today running errands and the sound was gone. The brakes seemed to be working fine, no squealing or grinding. So, now I don’t know what to do.

Still doesn’t hurt to get the pads checked or check yourself if you are comfortable doing that.

Front brake pads for sure. At 35K it is possible. It’s a very high pitched squeal, not too loud. Those of us of a certain age can’t hear it anymore.

It’s not really a squeal, it’s more like a whistling noise. Pucker your lips and whistle at the highest pitch that you can and that’s my noise. I have an appointment at Midas on wednesday and I’m also going to see if they will check the wheel bearings. Someone on another forum suggested that as the possible source of the noise. I just don’t want to pay for an expensive brake job if it’s not necessary.

You’d be much better off finding a reputable, local, independent mechanic and avoiding the corporate chain places (such as Midas). Ask around among friends, co-workers, etc.

Though - actually - a 2009 w/ 35K you should probably start at the dealer. Brake pads will not be under warranty, but many other things should be. If you do go there & it is brake pads you can always go to another shop if their prices are thru the roof.

I would have the brakes checked as well. The fact you did not hear it today could be nothing more than a change in temperature. In any case if it is the brake wear warning it will be coming back. It is not urgent, but it is important.

Hello, I was wondering if you ever found out what the high pitched whistling noise that your Kia was making was? Mine is doing the same thing. Any help would be appreciated :slight_smile: Thanks!

Ray mentioned on the show one time he had a customer with that problem, turned out to be some small plastic part had fallen off something hollow on the exterior of the car and it created a whistling effect that stopped if you weren’t going fast enough to create the necessary wind force.