Can An 04 Intrepid Engine Actually Be Worked On?

“Access to this thing doesn’t seem that impossible. If you can’t move the alternator out of the way, simply remove it.”

The alternator never did have to move. It can stay right where it is to replace the pump. The owner was fixing the wrong problem. Who knows, maybe the pump could have been replaced by now.

The good news ? Providing that the car was in decent shape and as long as the owner and driver didn’t overheat the car by driving it with low coolant, it should be a nice car when the pump gets replaced. The 2004 was the most advance model. My wife still misses her’s now that my daughter took it over. They are nice cars to drive (and economical) . . . period.

CSA

Sorry, CSA…I was following your comments:

The alternator comes off and there you are, ready to remove the housing.
From the first post. I now realize that was for the thermostat housing, not the water pump. (failure to pay attention, I know, no need to flame)

Chase, Not A Problem. I Wasn’t Being Critical Of Your Comment. The Owner Took Us Both Off Track.
It Was Tester That Got Me Back On The Real Issue - Water Pump, Not T-Stat.

CSA

common sense answer, sorry if I took you off track. When I made my first post in this thread, I had only got as far as preparing to remove the large metal shroud at the top of the engine. I didn’t get the shroud off and get the housing off until after my original post, that’s when I learned about my water pump failure.

Gudenteit , Not A Problem. Let Us Know What Happens With The Intrepid.
CSA

When I am working on the front of an engine I remove the radiator even when it doesn’t “have” to come out. This saves my large knuckles from the fins, gives me more room to work and see and saves the radiator from damage if I slip.

“You are making too big a deal out of worn out or defective water pump on a 7 - 8 year-old car. How many miles on this vehicle ?”
-my daughter says between 93K and 94K. I guess the water pump’s “time has come…”

“When I am working on the front of an engine I remove the radiator even when it doesn’t “have” to come out”
-you must have the HVAC servicing equipment to also remove the condenser since it would be perilously close also. (I am not much more than a shade tree mechanic)

Water Pump job done for a "steal of a deal!..
I contacted several mechanics about this water pump job…first one was starting out his own business, wouldn’t do this job. 2nd was an old school shop that did more relatively crude types of repairs, sort of like Gus Wilson’s “Model Garage” in the old Popular Science mags. They showed me the door, so to speak when I approached them. Then I called one of the modern, high tech, certified independent shops, they politely told me to take it to a Chrysler dealer. So I got a quote from them, they do these type of jobs regularly, I guess, and they matter of factly quoted the base price less additional repairs that should be done with the timing stuff accessed-$1200. My daughter lucked out though…her best friend’s Uncle worked at that dealership, and they did the job after only a few days wait and cut that quoted price in half including a $217 timing chain replacement!