Camry brake noise while driving

I’m getting chirping noise while driving that stops when I apply the brakes. I’ve had the rotors resurfaced and the noise went away for 2 days. It doesn’t happen constantly. It happens at any speed. Any ideas?

What you are describing is consistent with the intended noise of the brake pad wear indicators that are a part of the brake pads.

While I would assume (and hope) that whoever who machined the rotors would have looked at the condition of all of the brake pads on the car, it is possible that this was not done as thoroughly as it should have been. Have a competent mechanic examine all of the brake pads.

Unfortunately, yes. It might be a wheel bearing. The problem is that wheel bearings can go from occasional chirping to total failure in a few seconds. Having a wheel – especially a front wheel – lock up or come off, can ruin your whole day. You really need to get this diagnosed. If it’s something basically harmless, you can put off fixing it.

I had 2 different mechanics look at it and when the rotors were resurfaced they put in new pads which stopped the squeal I was getting (not mentioned before). It’s strange, It happens after I’ve been driving about 10 miles (a warm up issue?)

I’ll certainly ask about the possibility but the noise goes away when I apply the brake.Would that be consistant with a bearing problem?

I’ll certainly ask about the possibility but the noise goes away when I apply the brake.Would that be consistant with a bearing problem?

Consistent? yes. But it doesn’t prove it’s a bearing. What happens is that when you apply the brakes, you partially grab and support the rotor. That removes some of the stress from the wheel bearing.

How loud is the noise? Brake wear indicators are intended to be annoying and to get your attention, and usually do. Wheel bearings sometimes sound like birds chirping off in the distance.

A loose, damaged, or ill-fitting anti-rattle clip can also cause this noise. Have a competent brake mechanic check the hardware and anti-rattle clips, replace as needed, and be sure to use enough brake lube. This could be a cheap fix to a common problem.