Bye-bye to the so-called "Smart" car

Nothing personal, you seem to disagree with nearly everyone. I am a long time champion of women’s and everyone else’s equal rights. Statistics are national if not worldwide. My observations are in my area which I stated.

1 Like

That’s the second characterization you’ve made in this discussion that conflicts with actual data. If you look above, you’ll see I’ve liked and agreed with many people in this discussion alone. If you dig into my profile, you’ll see I’ve liked and agreed with a lot of people.

You clearly engage in anecdotal fallacies for lack of better arguments, and when you do, I’m going to point it out.

Characterizing that as something being wrong with me, and then claiming I disagree with “nearly everyone” when I don’t, are tactics that I think are beneath you.

When you and I disagree, I stick to the issue so as to not make it personal without trying to drag anyone else into our disagreement. Will you kindly do the same?

I will kindly do the same. Whatever it is?

Okay, can we please walk this back? This thread, like a Smart car, is too tight to fight in without someone getting elbowed in the eye.

2 Likes

Thank You.

You may be right on the stats, but your reasoning is dead WRONG. The main reason is because there are statistically more male golfers. Only 19% of all golfers are women. And statistically men play more golf rounds then women golfers.

Bringing it back to cars…Men tend to drive more then women. That’s another factor insurance companies use to increase insurance for men.

1 Like

Men tend to be outside more anyway. Not a lot of women in the scrap industry (wouldn’t mind having a few more). Not a lot of women in the logging industry, farming industry, or fooling around with cattle (in my area at least).

I imagine the reason rates are higher for men - I know I’d gamble on a teen female driver staying out of trouble vs a teen male driver. Not that one driver is better than the other, technically. But the guys are more apt to “see what the car can do” or stick an suv in a mud hole. Pretty much the same reason it’s more costly to insure a sports car vs a family sedan. The likelihood of shenanigans is more with the sports car. And guys.

It may be just me but I sure wouldn’t want to be in one in an accident with almost any other ICE car specially something like a Tahoe . No loss there .

I wouldn’t want to be in any subcompact car in an accident, with any vehicle, large or small.

For that matter, I wouldn’t want to be an an accident in a large vehicle either. Why would anyone want to be in an accident, in any vehicle?

Since the chance of being in a collision is one that the individual can mitigate or manage to a large degree, I don’t feel I need to drive around in a huge tank of a vehicle in order to feel safe. Most “accidents” aren’t all that accidental; they’re what happens when drivers ignore or increase the risk factors that increase their chances of being involved in a collision.

Sure, there are those one-in-ten thousand freak accidents that can kill you, like a truck landing on top of your car, but for the most part, you can usually trace back things that led to a collision, like being tired, driving fast, being distracted, or something else that prevented you from avoiding a collision, even if that collision was someone else’s fault.

I was T-boned at a stop sign. I don’t see how I could’ve avoided that. Sure, the other guy was at fault. But I’d prefer to be in something more substantial in those circumstances.

I quit riding street bikes for this reason. You can drive defensive all you want, but if someone plows into you…you might not be able to get out of the way, and the more protection, the better.

I don’t think it’s quite 1 in 10,000. If it is, screw crash test ratings.

1 Like

As you said some accident’s can’t be avoided when I was still working I was T-boned by someone running a stop sign I was not charged but the company safety dept. got involved they asked me if I thought I could have avoided some how it I told them the only way was if I had not been there. As far having protection I was in a 18 wheeler & the guy that hit me was in a pickup.

Yeah, the safety dept at work likes to proclaim that “all accidents are avoidable”, which is true to a certain degree. But avoiding some of them would require hindsight, too much money, or a combination of the two. The only way I could’ve avoided the T-bone I was in would’ve been to have pulled forward…into oncoming traffic. Or be elsewhere. I didn’t want to pull into traffic, but it would’ve been nice to be somewhere else!

His insurance fixed it. But if he had hit me in the door…could’ve been a bigger deal. Maybe moreso in a smart car. Maybe death on a bike…

1 Like

I would definelty rather be else where myself but sometime’s can not be helped as far as vechile’s go I don’t want to be in anything smaller than my F150.

As for the title of this post about smart car’s I never could understand what was so smart about them I was thinking about getting a used one till I checked the price I would not drive it on the road I was thinking about putting a mower deck under it to have a air conditioned lawn mower.

1 Like