Bye-bye to the so-called "Smart" car

There are several factors for lower insurance for women.

#1 - women are less likely to drive drunk or on drugs.
#2 - Woman tend not to drive as fast (aka racing).

But insurance rates for OLDER women is usually HIGHER then for men.

Insurance rates does NOT equate to driving ability.

I’ve known many women who are demon drivers . . . fast, aggressive, cutting people off, tailgating, changing lanes without signaling, honking at pedestrians legally crossing the street. That last one is particularly disturbing

I call it equal opportunity

Everybody is equally likely to act like a jerk behind the wheel

2 Likes

Personally, I like women.

What’s that got to do with the way somebody drives . . . ?! :confused:

And just in case somebody thinks my previous response to @Whitey meant I think women are bad drivers, I wasn’t making a blanket statement. The point I was trying to make was that women are just as likely to be jerk drivers as men, at least according to what I’ve personally witnessed.

Whenever I get seriously tailgated, it’s almost always a middle aged woman.

Are you sure it’s not just a matter of looking at the aggressive driver to see which stereotype he or she fits into?

Whenever I am seriously tailgated, it is a jacked up 4WD pickup, driven by a toothless moron. It’s probably a woman, though.

1 Like

I didn’t mean to imply women are the lesser skilled or more dangerous drivers as a generalization…as I don’t think bad driving favors one sex over the other. Its equal opportunity. I was only using an example of something that I see almost daily and it bothers me to no end. I literally see women applying makeup in the driver vanity mirror in the sun visor or using the rear view mirror. and I see this OFTEN, very, very often. I see drivers of all gender using phones unwisely as well, every single day.

I have a “strange” habit of looking in my rear view mirror after I am “safely” stopped at a red light or otherwise stopped… inevitably I see someone barrelling toward me far, far too fast for the red light stop situation. More times than I can count, the gender of the drivers that raise my pulse rate in that scenario, are females. Two times, while in my car, I have had to pull quickly to the shoulder only to watch said “barrelling driver” plow into the vehicle I was previously stopped behind at the light. Both of those times, the driver was young and female and in a big vehicle. I have had to do the same thing once while on my motorcycle…that time, the driver was a male. In all instances it would have been NO BUENO for me to remain where I was “safely” stopped…of that I can absolutely guarantee.

Always leave yourself a pocket when you stop behind someone, you never know when you will need it…driver gender notwithstanding.

5 Likes

not to be gender-specific, although the sample I have applies toward the cliche… one of our friends was driving Honda minivan and all of us who drove with her slipped a comment or two she was following way too close to the car in front. Yes, she had great reactions and it took almost 2 years before she actually barreled through the car in front, which finally made her change that behavior. she drove something small before, probably that contributed. it’s like thinking you are special and laws of physics do not apply :slight_smile:

looks to me nothing to do with gender, more to do with a mindset

Just this morning, I was noticing how few cars leave adequate space (four seconds of following distance)* at highway speeds.

The rule for motorcycles is to leave two seconds of following distance. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation seems to base that on the shorter stopping distance of motorcycles versus cars, but the way I see it, (A) my motorcycle has zero front-end protection, and (B) I don’t have to just worry about not rear-ending the vehicle in front of me, I have to worry about the tailgating SUV behind me.

BTW, the rule for commercial trucks is to use eight seconds of following distance. With the majority of truck drivers being men, and seeing how often that rule is ignored, I think some of you might be ignoring how that skews against the stereotypes, simply because it escapes your notice.

*For anyone who might not know what I’m talking about when I use a unit of time to measure following distance, the unit of time is the time that elapses when both vehicles pass the same stationary object, such as a sign, lamp post, or crack in the pavement. As the vehicle in front of you passes a stationary object, start counting “one thousand one, one thousand two…” If you pass the same object before you get to “one thousand four,” you’re too close.

1 Like

Absolutely nothing! Just attempting to lighten the mood. Everyone on this forum is so serious.

Well, not everyone I suppose. I guess I made a “generalization” when I said “everyone”.

1 Like

I just don’t like it when people make really vague . . . almost blanket statements . . . such as “women are less aggressive drivers” or “men are better drivers”

I might agree with some statements sometimes, but that’s about all I can promise

And the Honda Civic ran on 87 Octane regular fuel!

When I was a 16 year old driver in 1968 female drivers my age had significantly lower insurance rates. In the past 2 decades I have observed a disturbing increase in aggressive female drivers. Many driving giant pickups and SUVs. Welcome to reality.

More like “welcome to anecdote and confirmation bias.”

Yet, on average, women still are better risks than men:

"While gender-based car insurance may seem biased, the following statistics provided by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) help explain why gender is a rating factor for car insurance:

71% of all car accident-related deaths in 2012 were males.

The number of drivers who died in a fatal car accident was 50% higher for men than women in 2008.
Men are much more likely to have been under the influence of alcohol in a fatal crash. In 2012, 38% of fatally injured male drivers had BACs of over 0.08%, as compared to 20% of fatally injured female drivers.

Seat belt use was observed in 88% of female front seat occupants, as compared to 84% of male front seat occupants.

In 2012, 23% of male drivers who were involved in fatal accidents were speeding at the time of the accident, while 14% of women involved in fatal crashes were doing the same."

Apparently there is still a reason why women have lower rates.

1 Like

Coincidentally, men are also more likely to be struck by lightning, because male golf players don’t have the sense to come in from the rain.

I’m guessing a 50/50 chance of it being a woman at least where I live. It’s about a 100% chance If I pull as much as possible to the right and motion them to pass with no oncoming traffic for a mile. They will not. They don’t want to pass. They want me to speed up!!! I don’t play their silly dominance game. I move back to the center of the lane and slow down about 5mph.

What exactly is your problem? Please let me “have it”!

1 Like

My problem?

You think because I disagree with you I have a problem?

Let’s not make this personal.