Buzz/Roar at speed from front

1993 Plymouth Sundance, 2.2 l engine, automatic. About 76,000 miles.

This is my daily (or 3x a week) commuter car. It only gets about 4-5000 miles a year since I only live about 5 miles from work. A few times a year it goes on longer trips of 100 miles or so one way to the big city airport. When I’m out on the interstate and I’m turning left I notice a buzzing noise from the right front. It is only noticeable at highway speeds (above 45-50mph) an only when I’m turning left. It does not happen with right turns. The sharper the left turn, the more noise. The higher the speed, the more noise. Higher speed does slightly increase the pitch of the noise but the sharper the turn and the higher the speed, the greater the volume of the Buzz/Grrr noise. Rotating the tires made no difference although they all do have the same tread pattern.

I recently had a whole slew of work done to the car including new front and rear shocks/struts, new brake rotors and pads on the front and a new wheel bearing on the right front.

After all the work, it still makes the noise. My mechanic and I are perplexed. Any guesses?

Anyone?

Is it tires? Some sort of differential, ball joint issue? Nothing to worry about?

Your mechanic is perplexed by this? That is not a good sign regarding his mechanical expertise.

This is likely to be a bad CV joint on the right axle and if that axle is replaced, your problem should be solved. However, the left axle is probably ready for replacement also, so be sure to budget for that job also–either now or in the very near future.

“A few times a year it goes one way to the airport.” Do you tow it back?

sorry

I would go with a bad cv joint. Your mechanic can check the amount of play in them with the car up in the air. There could be binding in the joints as opposed to play and there could be maybe a half hour or so of labor to check for this. Also, as I recall, the front wheel bearings have to be pressed in as opposed to

just being bolted in when they are replaced. There?s tremendous force involved and it is possible to damage the bearing during the installation, but it doesn?t happen that often, IMO. But you say the sound is coming from the RF area, and the RF bearing was just replaced. Then again you seem to indicate that

the sound was there before this was done. I would go with one or both of the 2 RF cv joints being worn since they flex during turns. Please post back if and when this pans out. Good luck.

I would assume the race was replaced when the bearing was replaced?