Buying Used 2009 Hyundai Touring

I’ve been asking a lot of questions lately about models of cars I’m looking at.

Recent fascination is with the Hyundai Touring. My dream model is an SE with a manual transmission. But there aren’t too many around.

I happen to be in Saint Louis this weekend and 2 hours away in Springfield, IL a dealer actually has the car I’m looking for. 2009 model, but that’s OK.

I’ve looked it up on KBB and Edmunds and compared their prices with the dealers. Knowing that this was a dealer trade-in that’s been sitting on their lot for around 90 days, how much should I start the haggling at (thinking $13,500)?

The details: 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring SE with manual transmission. It has the SE trim package with the 17" wheels and the sunroof. Heated seats possibly. 10,000 miles on it. Silver with Black interior.

My wife and I are trying to find a car that doesn’t cost more than $15K.

Very, very, very few people “Trade In” a one year old car. It’s a Repo, it has a nasty problem the original owner could not deal with, or it was the sales managers wifes car…

Find out if the dealer offering it is the one that sold it NEW. If so, get the whole story. If not, walk away or at least have your radar turned on high resolution…

Exactly.
The OP should ask himself:
Why would somebody trade in a perfectly good car after just 10k miles?

As Caddyman stated, this car is very possibly a lemon or a Repo.
People who can’t afford to make their car payments also can’t afford to maintain their car before it is repossessed.

Do you really want a car that was not maintained and now has an engine filled with sludge?
Do you really want a car that had problems so severe that somebody dumped it after just one year?

I would be very leery of this car.

Or, it could also be an off lease or demo vehicle, never know.
Ask if you can take it to a mechanic to have them look it over before you buy it. If they won’t let you, walk away.