2002 Hyundai Elantra - buy it?

I’m considering buying a 2002 Hyundai Elantra as my first car. It has 160k miles on it, has some minor cosmetic blemishes, and the radio doesn’t work (though the CD player does). I don’t care about either the slight blemishes or the broken radio.

The seller is the original owner, and he says he’s changed the oil every 3000 miles. He’s asking $2000, and I assume I can talk him down a few hundred.

The price is pretty appealing. I could go a little higher, but I’m not wanting to spend over $3000, including sales tax and registration and insurance. I like the claims of maintenance and the fact that he’s the original owner. I’ll make sure the title is clean and ask for records of maintenance.

So, here’s the question: if you were in my situation and my price range, would you buy this car? And is there anything else I should double-check about it?

I think that for a Hyundai with that mileage that it’s overpriced at 2 grand and you can safely bet that car needs some additional repair. An oil change every 3k miles does not cure all ills or replace the timing belt, etc.

What would I do if I were in your situation? Move on and look elsewhere.

I wouldn’t pay $2,000 for an Elantra with 160K miles on it.

I don’t think I’d buy an Elantra with 160K miles at any price.

You haven’t seen the maintenance records, have you? All you’re going on is the owner’s claims. I think you can do better for $2,000.

This car is getting ready for its third timing belt. Factor that in if you still think you want it.

If it appeals take it to a local mechanic for a check over and find out what else is lurking.

People will recommend Honda/Toyota but in your price range they are well worn out as the name badge carries a $1000-$1500 premium which does not leave much money for an actual car.