Buying the Cheapest Wrenches I could

I’ve Seen Signs On Professional Technicians’ Tool Boxes:
“I Make My Living With My Tools… Please, Don’t Ask To Borrow Them.”

I won’t borrow tools. I hope nobody asks to borrow mine. I have a really complete tool set, continually expanded over decades. If I need a tool I don’t have I buy it, which doesn’t happen often. I figure that I save/have saved so much on DIY car repairs that I can easily expend money on tools.

I don’t hesitate to order “special tools” that are manufacturer specific to performing an operation on a vehicle that makes the repair, easier, safer, faster, or even possible. I have several I’ve only used once and will never use again. I suppose I could list them on E-bay or something.

Without proper tools, car repair can turn from pleasurable to PITA in a hurry.
CSA

I only lend stuff I am willing to give away for free. I also stay away from borrowing. Most people would not know if there equipment wasn’t working well from the beginning. I will feel guilty returning it as is.

I have only used Autozone loaner tools, but that is different, it is not family/friend. You leave a deposit and then get a refund when you return the tool.

I’ve got a lot of stuff I use maybe once in a blue moon and even never so I really don’t mind lending that stuff out if I get it back. I have a portable power wood planer that I bought for one particular project and use it seldom. I loaned it to a friend of my son’s for something. I 'spose he hit a nail or knot or something with it cause it came back with a nick in the blade that would leave a little ridge in the wood when you used it. He probably had no idea. Later on I abused it on another project and fully wrecked the blades. What the hey, new blades were only $10. So I don’t mind sharing if it will help someone but no one gets my welders, miter saw, router, nailers etc. I wish someone would want to use that inspection scope I bought so at least someone would get some use out of it. One of the most worthless tools I ever bought. Maybe some day it will save the day and I’ll blow the dust off.

common sense answer: “I’ve Seen Signs On Professional Technicians’ Tool Boxes”:
“I Make My Living With My Tools… Please, Don’t Ask To Borrow Them.”
I have also seen signs on shop walls something like: "Labor $50 per hour. Customer advises $75 per hour. Customer assists $100 per hour. Unrelated but another sign on the wall of a local diner. “Unattended Children will be given a triple shot of expresso and a puppy”.

I bought an inspection scope a few months ago . . . I love the thing and wonder why I didn’t get one years ago. Sure makes life easier. A few months ago I suspected a leaking evaporator, but was having my doubts, as to whether I could trust the sniffer. So I took out the blower and used the scope to take a peek at the evaporator. A mirror would NOT have worked. The evaporator was caked with green oily mud. The mud was green because I had injected dye at an earlier scheduled service. Proof positive

As for lending out tools, I remember a rather distressing incident. I have snap on threaded bolts, which are used to draw in suspension bushings. They’re fine thread, but pretty strong. There is a bearing on each side, one behind the head, one behind the nut. Anyways, I always put some antiseize on the threads and the tool always did its job, without a complaint. The threads were perfect. And I never used an impact on it

A guy asked to borrow it, and I said okay, but I told him that he had to use antiseize on the thread, and don’t use an impact. I probably repeated this 5 times. Anyways, a few minutes later, he tells me the tool broke. I asked him if he used antiseize. He said no. I asked him if he used an impact. He said yes. I told him when the snap on guy shows up, give him the tool and tell him you need a new one. I also told him don’t bother ever asking to borrow another tool. Later that day the snap on guy showed up, and I got a new threaded bolt, because he happened to have one on the truck. The snap on guy personally came into the shop to bring me the bolt, because my doofus colleague was too ashamed of himself

That tool never broke on me, and it never failed to do the job, at least when I was using it

Several questions asked.

Trespassing laws in Texas. No, I did not get legal advice but I know a lot of native Texans, and they immediately warn you not to go anywhere that might be private property without permission. A lot of snow birds do not know this and tend to wander around as they might do in the Midwest. My SIL (son-in-law) also told me this.

A “good ole boy” (I had heard of good ole boys but never knew what they meant until I got to know Strom, now deceased) told me if you go on a ranch without permission there is a good chance you will be held at gun point for the sheriff to come and take you away.

Trespassing laws in Texas when I live in Mexico. Think “wife”. My little village is my personal paradise. It is not my Mexican wife’s personal paradise. So, several times a year, she grabs the overnight bus and goes back to McAllen for up to a month, depending whether it is school vacation.

Mexico changed the car import laws to protect the Mexican used car industry, plain and simple. Mordida, the bribery, used to work on car imports. A couple years ago, they put 13 customs agents in prison for importing cars no longer legal to import. And, though most people don’t know it US Federal law makes it a crime to export a car without a CBP inspection and approval. The car, as much as we loved it and hate to see it gone, is only worth maybe $2500, which isn’t much if you are arrested.

I have only paid a bribe one time, at least I think I did. My wife’s crummy cousin sold some lots east of us, only accessible by our private road. And, people were concerned that we might close the road? Close a road that is the only access for many kinfolk and friends, including the Lovely Gabriela? No way. So, I went and talked to him. I told him we would give him a free and permanent crossing document, guaranteeing passage, but not the right to do any digging or changing the private street. I already allowed perhaps 6 families to run hoses under the street connecting their homes east of us with “city water”, and for free.

He rejected the offer, and told a neighbor that he didn’t want crossing rights. he wanted the town to condemn the street and make it public property so HE COULD DO WITH IT WHAT HE WANTS. And, my wife every day cooks food and takes it to his old father! He failed to understand the Irish! That was war!

So, when they appraised our land, I asked a clever cousin who well understands mordida to ask the appraiser to put a maximum value on the land. Most people ask for a reduced appraisal. It cost me around $50 USD, I think and the land was appraised at $3 USD a SQUARE FOOT, which as strange as it sounds is what lots sell for here.

If they confiscate land, they have to pay the appraised value, which for a 7 meter wide street by 80 meters long would be nearly 300,000 pesos, nearly 16,000 dollars. That is a lot of money here for the local government. The cousin says it will never happen for the few people who live east of us, especially when I have openly said as long as I am alive, those people, including the Lovely Gabriela, will cross and for free. So, we have peace in our property, no one can park and have booze parties in front of our house as they could on a public street, and I get to watch the Lovely Gabriela and her equally lovely sisters walk through my property to work every day. I also like to see the little boys and girls in their uniforms walking to school. They are so cute.

A lot of otherwise poor country people manage to have functional cars. You can get parts such as most parts for example a 1976 Chevrolet Pickup, and labor isn’t very much. So, it is rare that a car is junked without being rolled in a ball. So, even some of the poor people east of me do cross our private street in their cars.

Do the math on our net worth here. Our land which I told you is appraised at $3 a square food, and we have around 60,000 square feet, plus a 2700 square foot house with all the goodies, and our property taxes were around $100 last year. And, my wife was furious with me for having it raised so high. The cousin tries to convince us to sell the land in lots, maybe five or 10 of them at $30,000 each, not sure, exactly, but we want quiet and peace. After we die, our heirs can do as they wish.

Two questions though. Is she married and what are you going to do for a replacement vehicle?

@irlandes

Your wife’s cousin sounds like a scheming and manipulative POS

He sounds like the kind of guy who’ll have a beer with you one minute, then try to rat you out, sell you out, etc. the next minute

Not Exactly Cheap Wrenches, But I Never Learned How To Weld Metal And I Don’t Need To Very Often. Local Welders Charge Quite A Bit To Weld Anything And Usually Have A Minimum Charge. Also, It Saves Money To Take The Work To Them, But Is Often Difficult Or Inconvenient.

So, the last time the mower deck on my 1970 Simplicity lawn tractor began to show a crack and I had another thing or two to weld I took a coupon to HF and bought a 115v, 90 amp wire-feed welder for 90 bucks and picked up an auto-darkening helmet dirt cheap, too.

I practiced “welds” on some scrap angle iron and then with a shower of sparks I produced some very ugly welds that became more “beautiful” with my grinder. My welds are embarrassing, but do the job. I’d say that welder paid for itself on day one and it’s nothing but free “welding” from here on out.

People will tell me that a Hobart welder would have been a wiser choice, but since I can’t weld anyhow, and I don’t want to spend that money for very occasional use, that’s why I got a cheapo.

People who see my welds don’t ask me to weld anything, nor do they ask to borrow the machine that caused them. :wink:
CSA

LOL, db, I used a fiber optic scope some years back to photograph a tooth cavity. My dentist (who I’ve known for 30 years) got a kick out of it. His comment was “you have a better system than I do!”.

Fiberoptic scopes are great.

“Fiberoptic scopes are great.”
@the same mountainbike

Please don’t say that! I’ve looked at them.

Thanks! Now I need to go buy one to go with my other toys, an infra-red non-contact thermometer (great tool), and my Bushnell Radar Gun ( Comes in handy to request police traffic control near my location.) from Optics Planet.

On the other hand, it is nice when a tool can be used as a fun toy, too. :smile:
CSA

db4690 Long Lost Magliozzi Brother
March 18

Again, you read things very negatively, don’t you?

@irlandes

I read things negatively . . . you YOURSELF described your wife’s cousin in a very negative way

And I agreed that he sounded like a scumbag

Maybe I shouldn’t agree with you . . . would you be happier if I said YOU were wrong, because the guy is clearly an angel :innocent:

I was on the road and needed some larger sockets. I bought a set of HF deep impact sockets…10mm all the way to like 30mm

Despite my FINEST efforts I have yet to damage or crack a single one of them…and brother have I TRIED… Huge impact guns dumbed down with reducers…6 foot gas pipes on a 3/4 ratchet with me bouncing on the end…all to no avail…they dont even look used…and its been YEARS.

Best 25 bucks I ever spent. I have found that their open end wrenches and sockets are of higher quality metal than you think

But here is the kicker and where Pro tools come into play. Not many people think about this nor would ever encounter it either…but I do.

WALL THICKNESS… if you look at a top quality tool, sockets and open ends mostly… You will notice the thin-ness of the wrench or socket. Dont mistake this for weakness…on the contrary. They are made of high quality tool steel and are elegantly constructed… Many times its the difference between an impossible fastener removal and a breeze…the thin walls allow access…and its damn near invaluable. They are also very very strong…

But to the weekend wrencher…who isnt going pro or working on vehicles enmass…sure…HF Wrenches and sockets will probably outlast you…

Blackbird

@irlandes All the things you describe sound very familiar to me, having worked in 12 Asian and Latin American countries. Living there requires adaptability and a degree of ruthlessness to avoid being taken advantage of.

In one country 2 attempts at bribery were both by law Enforcement officers!!

Very true, Honda, but IMHO the quality of the metal (the alloy) and how the socket is manufactured are every bit as important as the wall thickness at the apexes. One indicator I’ve found is the quality of the details. Good sockets will generally be smooth, polished, and slightly tapered where the socket goes over he hex, and the entry hole for the ratchet will clean, polished, and free of burrs. The markings on a good socket will be clear and clean, whereas cheap sockets often have stamped markings wherein you can see the metal from the stamping pushed to the side.

My own favorite set is a 50-pc set of “Mr. Goodwrench” sockets (metric and SAE" that I won for free. I bought at the urging of my wife a new-at-the-time Saturn. Saturns were fairly new to the market, and to promote them the dealers were holding free “maintenance clinics” on Saturdays to new owners. I went. Didn’t learn nothin’, but I won the door prize… the socket set! Too bad the car wasn’t as well made as the socket set!

the same mountainbike: “Mr. Goodwrench” never gave me free hand tools when I worked for his GM (Buick) dealership in the mid 1970s! I had to furnish my own which were Craftsman and Mac (plus many tools from the plentiful SoCal swap meets). I didn’t see a Snap-on truck during that time. I was sent to a couple of “Mr. Goodwrench” schools where maybe 5% actually applied to me. I replaced shock absorbers so I was sent to suspension and brakes school. My main job was exhaust systems (the dealership did supply me with an oxy/acetylene torch and a really cool pipe bending machine). When the catalytic converters appeared in 1975 I was sent to emission controls school. I never replaced a catalytic converter. I never complained of being sent to schools while being monetarily compensated. Knowledge is Power! Unfortunately mid 1970s knowledge is pretty much worthless now.

I’ve had to grind down the wall of a socket or two to fit, but I think they were the really cheap variety.

Wall thickness can be a catch 22 for many sockets. I know that I have at least one deep well socket that at one point I had to grind down the wall to fit somewhere. It was probably a wheel lug nut. I just helped a young fellow with rotating his custom wheels and my newer sockets wouldn’t even fit into the holes on the wheels. I used the socket that I ground down and even then you could see the aluminum that was rubbed off the hole onto the outside of the socket.

Yosemite