Buying new tires

I have bought tires from Costco for the last tens years, and have found them to competent installers.
Their tire prices beat tire warehouse and Tire rack,and tire price includes new valve stems,road hazard warranty,free mounting and balancing. They charge a $1 for tire disposal.

Tires have to meet certain safety standards to be sold in the USA. If the DoT approved them, you can be sure that they are safe. That doesn’t tell you about wear or road noise, but visiting 1010tire and tirerack as MB suggested can help you there.

Shop around. Costco will cut you a better deal than the tire shop down the street. I saved over $200 buying tires off of tirerack.com, even when you add in the shipping charges. I personally like BFGoodrich, they’re cheaper than Michelean, Goodyear, etc but more than Kuhmos, Sumitomo, etc.

I had Kuhmos and Sumitimos, and BFGoodrich beats the pants off of them in terms of ride quality, grip, wear, and noise.

My son discovered Yokohama tires at the time were highly rated tires. So, when my 2002 Sienna needed tires, I bought Yokohamas.

Then, we started driving to Mexico. I average about one bad tire a year wiped out by road hazards. A local tire man in Mexico has been recommending I change to a higher load rated tire.

I have even thought of buying four steel rims, and putting heavy tires on them, and swap wheels each time when I cross the border. Speeds in Mexico tend to be less, so I worry more about exactly the specified tire at 70 mph in the States.

The tire rack is a great source of tire buying information. I have bought my last few sets from them and each time a great tire at a cheaper price than from a local shop. Michelin’s are over priced. Plus there is always a better tire than what came as original equipment. After a quick look on tire racks website I would consider the General Altimax HP. A tire with great reviews from Accord owners at a great price in the grand touring all season tire segment. Not to mention a better price than tires in the lesser segments of standard touring all season and all season tires.

I’ve used TireRack for years, for tires, shocks, brakes, etc. Been very happy.

The highest-rated tire on their site for my car was a Yokohama Avid (this was for a 1996 Maxima). I am really happy with them. They cost about 2/3 as much as Michelins. The Maxima came stock with Michelins, and the Bridgestones I put on to replace them were better than the Michelins, while the Yokohamas are better yet.

Read those reviews at TireRack. You’ll probably end up with a tire on your short list you would never have considered otherwise.