Buying from a small-town car lot

We are actually able to get all the features we would like while other vehicles will have some features or just be base bare bone model for around the same price and miles. We haven’t test drove it, but they are supposed to be comfortable. I just had my 3rd hip surgery.

I would love to get a newer car with less than 150,000 and 10 years old or less. However, I just can’t afford that with medical bills, mortgage, etc. You have to work hard to find what you can afford with the lowest miles and newest which isn’t the easiest.

You reminded me of the last time I bought a used luxury car… leather everywhere, drove like a dream, such power, such comfort … such a deal!

After a year or two it was costing me so much in mantenance and repairs that I felt like I was paying for TWO cars and unloaded it on the next starry eyed sucker.

In this vehicle market prices are crazy for everything but the worst is in the Luxury SUV category, which everyone seems to “need” while the sedan market seems to be the least affected.

So if comfort and costs are your primary concerns, how about a Buick sedan?
Rides like a dream, lavish interior, sits 6 in comfort, reasonably priced repairs & maintenance and owned by your “Older Contingent” who typically put low miles on it, drove cautiously (never over 60MPH) and were obsessive about maintenance?

My kids in their 30’s would drop dead even being seen driving one but today you can get a V6, FWD Buick Lacrosse 2005, 85,000 miles for less than $7,000 and a 2010, 74,000 for less than $13,000.
And if you’re concerned about impressing your friends or neighbors, for a couple of bucks you can remove the Buick badges and replace them with Lancia, Citroen or any other name that folks under 40 won’t recognize. :slight_smile:

The lexus RX is very comfortable, my uncle bought a RX Hybrid many years ago and has been very happy. Drives between Washington and Arizona twice a year. Really you just need to have a shop that works on Toyota’s check it over and maintain it as well as possible. About 75mi round trip to get to the nearest Lexus dealer but if I had one i’d take it to our trusted independent.

Yeah, that’s why a lot of us stick to Lexus and Acura for luxury cars. The reliability is on par with their Toyota/Honda parent companies. I had a 2007 Acura TL for 12 years and for 10 of those years I’d spent a total of something like 50 bucks on non-routine-maintenance repairs.

Even the last repair only cost me around $600. Admittedly I did the work myself, and it would have been more like $2,000 at a shop. But a lot of people spend that much fixing a car in the first 6 years of ownership, so I still got off easy. Now I drive a Lexus ES and I will not at all be surprised if the only thing I put into it is gas and routine maintenance for most of my time with it, too.

3 Likes