Buying a lowrider VW Golf with expectations of conversion back t0 NORMAL ride

Hey, hey…I’ve found a 2010 VW Golf TDI w/manual transmission for an okay price–I was told that the car was converted to a low-ride…Is there any assurance you all could provide that mechanics could -successfully- converted it back to normal ride levels? Any thing to be wary of???

Thank you all for reaching back…

If they did it professionally, yes it will be easy to convert back. if they did a shadetree trick to drop it…again, you can convert it back, but it may cost a little more…$1K for new parts should do it.

If they just stuck short springs on it, then it’ll be pretty easy to convert back. But who knows what they did? You’ll need a VW-proficient mechanic to examine it BEFORE you buy it (you were doing that anyway, right?) and see what was changed, and if any damage was done during the conversion, or afterwards as a result of the limited suspension travel.

But I’d rather find one not messed with, myself, even if it means getting an '09 or paying a bit more.

People who do this sort of thing often drive aggressively and beat their cars up. I’d be nervous about that.

"People who do this sort of thing often drive aggressively and beat their cars up. I’d be nervous about that. "
+++++

Typically, the people who modify their cars in that manner are not the type of person who you would want to have driving your car for even a few minutes. Why would you want a car that was driven by one of these boy-racers for at least two years?

You need to get a mechanic to look this car over and get his opinion on the suspension mods and reverting back to normal suspension. I’d wonder about the condition of the clutch, transmission, and differential from rough handling by the owner(s) of the car.

Installing 1-2" drop springs is mild. Usually use stock struts. The owner may have modified struts into a coil-over setup which could allow u to dial “up” ride height to normal? U need to look at struts to see what was done.

I would stay away from such a car. As others say, it’s lilkely led a hard life. The conversion back may have unpleasant financial surprises.

If you do buy, check the fuel tank very carefully for evidence of scraping. A lot of times, these guys lower it too far, and then scrape the tank going over speed bumps. Eventually, it will start to leak even if it isn’t leaking now - because you have now given rust an avenue to take hold. Replacing a fuel tank is a royal pain (or expensive, if you have someone else do it).

Great feedback from the group…thanks…will keep looking !