Buying a car that does not run

I have had the same honda for years and love it but it has almost 300,000 mile so I have started looking for a new car. A friend came acrossed a ford ranger 1997 with about 130,000 miles on it. The owner got it with a bad clutch and was going to fix it but he lost his job. He told me that all that it needs it a clutch and battery. He has records of all the work done to the truck and it looks like it is in great condition. He only wants $1000 for it is it worth it? How can I check it out?

You can jump start it, to see if it runs but my advice is to walk away. Or have it checked out by a responsible mechanic.

My fiew of any car that can’t take me on a test drive is that I would be able to buy it with whatever I happen to have in my wallet and not a penny more.

Unless you really need a truck I would pass on it. You will miss the gas mileage you are currently getting with the Honda. The mileage is low on the truck for the age of it but it still isn’t a great deal considering the work (that you know about) needed to be done on it.

It’ll cost you about $100 to buy a battery unless you know someone with a Ranger and the same engine. You could borrow the battery to see how the truck runs. While the clutch may need replacing, the truck might move if you have the battery. You could take it for a test drive, or at least listen to it purr in the driveway.

The only way I would consider it would be if the seller allowed me to install a battery (new or used) and actually hear it run until the engine got up to operating temperature with no overheating, flickering oil light, etc.

There’s a car near here that is being advertised on Craigslist by a private seller that is being touted as great condition, runs good, etc. Unfortunately, it is known that this car has been under water up to the door handles, the transmission was full of water at one time, and the engine has some mismatched parts inside of it.

In a nutshell, don’t put much faith into any claims made about a vehicle; no matter if it’s a car dealer making them or a private seller. The percentage of lying weasels is the same in both segments so attempt to make sure that you’re not dealing with one of the members of the unscrupulous crowd.

Stay away, for two reasons. First, ‘doesn’t run’ can cover up many problems, and even if you get it started you won’t be able to see how it drives. Second, why replace a remarkable car (your 300,000 mile Honda) with a troubled Ranger? You stand to be very disappointed, even if you get it running. Find another Honda.

You could “invest” $50 in a battery and at least get it started. You might be able to drive it… If it can’t be driven, I’d go $500 tops. Keep your battery and sell it on craigslist if it doesn’t pan out…

Yeah, I’d be a little hesitant. Really for a vehicle that doesn’t run, to me $500 should be the max amount paid.
I bought an 87 Cherokee 6cyl 4X4 for $500. It ran, but needed more work. Ran great for 2 years. Finally, it threw a rod. I JUST put new tires on it. Someone wanted to buy it right away. I honestly could NOT ask for more than 500. I just told the guy, “Just pay for the tires and she’s yours.” He wrote me a check for $300.

$1,000 seems a little steep. If you get the clutch fixed, what’s to say… uh, headgasket next? Waterpump? or…(gulp!) a rod!! Receipts seem pointless when the vehicle “doesn’t run”.

If it had 75,000 or less on it, I’d possibly consider it, but with that amount of miles, I’d too walk away.

Someone mentioned gas mileage and stick with Honda. Hondas are a great car, but you don’t have to stick with a certain brand. The '87 Jeep I had gets the same amount of gas mileage as my '96 Taurus.

In conclusion, unless he goes $500 or less, walk away!
TIP: Go to KelleyBlueBook.com and with the knowledge you have of the truck go to the section where you can “itemize” or rate vehicle (it’s more in depth). See what it tells you on this truck that doesn’t run. If anything, print it out and see if it is the key to negotiating!
Good luck! Trust your gut instinct, it was telling you something about this truck
JP#3

THE PEOPLE REPLYING TO THIS ARE PRETTY WISE / AN AUTO LIKE THIS CAN BE A GOOD DEAL IF YOU ARE A PRETTY GOOD MACHANIC (NOT A FREIND OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW) BUT YOU!

OTHERWISE YOU MAY PAY SOMEONE A LOT OF MONEY TO TRY AND FIX THIS AND THEN YOU’VE PAID MORE THAN ITS WORTH