Kia Rio Needs a new clutch - do I sell or fix?

Hi I just found out my car needs a new clutch - just wondering what the best thing to do is. Sell it, trade it in? Fix it? I bought the car for $8000 in Feb. It’s done 200k now.

Thanks in advance.
Nicole

Should probably say its a 2012 manual

I would probably do the clutch if the car was welll maintained and in good shape.

2 Likes

One thing to look at is what kind shape is the rest of the car in, with 200,000 miles on it there could be more than just the clutch that needs to be replaced. Pay a mechanic to do a full used car inspection, the shop we’ve usedt for decades had a checklist that covered a lot more than the 45pt inspection they did when the car was in for an oil change.

2 Likes

I’d fix it.

1 Like

If the car is in otherwise good shape, compare the cost of the clutch replacement (a maintenance item) to the cost of monthly payments for a replacement car. You may be spending in the range of $1,000 USD. With a $200 a month car payment you break even in 5 months, with $400 3 months. After that you are ahead of the game. A lot depends on what a professional mechanic says about the condition of the car.

5 Likes

The cost of the clutch repair will reduce the money you will get selling it or on trade in. Usually MORE than the cost of the repair because the car is unknown to the buyer.

Financially, you are better off to replace the clutch and decide whether you want to keep the car after.

9 Likes

Clutch is a wear and tear item, basically a consumable. Replacing it eventually is an expectation and 200k is a very good run for the original clutch. A clutch for this car runs from around $120-$200 retail. With labor, resurfacing the flywheel, and markup it’ll probably be about a grand. all in.

Assuming there’s no other major repairs needed, I’d have the clutch replaced. If you try to trade it in or sell it. The dealership/potential buyer will just deduct the price of the repair from what they offer anyway.

9 Likes

If the playing with numbers game was to be sorted out it would go like this.
On paper the dealer will offer you more than the car is worth; bad clutch or no bad clutch. The reality is that a 10 year old vehicle with 200k miles on it is going to get nothing more than the wholesale value and that’s at best. That will all be covered up with the paperwork fluff going on.

If the car is otherwise solid mechanically and not eaten up with rust my vote would be to replace the clutch. The cost of a clutch repair will be far outweighed by the depreciation in a few months involving any car that you might purchase.
And if the next car purchase involves a used one then you never really know what you are getting. To rehash the phrase “better the devil you know than the devil you don’t”…

5 Likes

I think you are getting good advice. Make sure you talk to people and get a recommendation for a fair mechanic, who will also give a solid second opinion about what you actually need. Some clutch problems are a cheap/easy fix, others are $1000.
One other suggestion: check out on kbb.com what your car is worth. You need to decide whether a 200K car and your personality are a good fit. If not, it might be worth advertising to get a private party sale. A clutch is a job a DIY-er can do if talented.

1 Like

Only thing I’d add is to make sure the problem isn’t with the clutch actuator system - enough fluid? No problem with either the master or slave cylinder?

You paid $8000 for a 2012 Kia with a manual that was approaching 200,000 miles in Feb.? You need to get smarter about buying cars. Fix it.

1 Like

All good answers. Replacing a clutch is a predictable maintenance item in any manual transmission car. The cost of replacement, considerable due to the labor involved, is small compared to a new car payment. It really depends on how you feel about the car and what kind of shape its in. Your best resale would be to a mechanically inclined buyer who might not look for the garage price discount. Otherwise expect many buyers to look for at least $1000 off whatever price you ask. Trade in for a 9 year old car with 200K will be disappointing. My MO would be to fix it and keep driving (but I’m a cheap old guy).

I would fix it.

I was thinking the same exact thing, but was too polite to come right out and say it. $8k for a 9-year old Kia Rio with nearly 200,000 miles, which sold new for about $15k??? What a deal (not)!

I agree op seems to have overpaid . . .

but it doesn’t change anything

The car still needs a clutch job, and I think it’s worth doing it

I wouldn’t want to be looking for another car . . . new OR used . . . in today’s market

4 Likes

Well, OP knows there is a problem. Don’t know if car is driveable. Does not sound like it

It’s also a moot point the OP wasn’t seeking advice on.

I guess you’re not as polite as you thought you were.

1 Like

The replies on a Forum don’t always pertain to a narrow subject . Maybe the remark about that the person may have paid too much might cause them to do a little research before their next vehicle purchase .

2 Likes

Telling someone to do research without teaching them how to conduct research doesn’t seem helpful to me.

“Get smart about buying cars” comes across as mean spirited.