Buying a 2011 Prius

The data is the length of the warranty on the batteries. What is it?

HUH??? You mean to tell me that when you buy a car…it’s JUNK after 3years or 36k miles…since that’s how long the warranty is??? Maybe you should stop buying GM vehicles.

“The only customers would be people who had had their batteries stolen.”

Could be. My wife had a friend that went to an out of town wedding. The t-tops were stolen from her Firebird. Fortunately, she was able to locate exactly what she wanted from a local shop that"just got them in". She always wondered if she bought her own t-tops.

“I will never understand what people see in these cars.”

Toyota isn’t counting on you. But there are enough fans that Prius is no longer a car. It’s a line of cars like Scion.

To each their own. I still maintain that if you get another small, non-hybrid car, you will be approaching, possibly even matching that mileage for highway driving. You may do significantly worse in the city. But try running your A/C full blast and see what it does to your mileage on a hybrid. A plug-in hybrid might be a nice solution cost-wise if you do mostly city driving, I’ll give you that.

If you do the math, unless you get a really sweet deal on the Prius, you can buy an awful lot of gas with your savings every month on that car payment. No one will argue that for the most part, Toyotas are reliable cars, but if you plan on keeping the Prius past the warranty, you have a vehicle that only the dealer can troubleshoot in most cases when something goes wrong.

And despite any gas savings, they’re still not as green as they’re cracked up to be when you consider the manufacturing process and materials used. Plus if you have coal-fired power plants in your area, you’re just mostly shifting one fossil fuel used for another with a plug-in.

So I guess you could just say I’m not a fan and leave it at that. I think I’ll buy a hybrid or alternative-energy vehicle when someone figures out how to make a cheap, reliable fuel cell run on something other than hydrogen.

No, Mike. What I’m saying is they’re not going to warranty the batteries for longer than their normal life, no more than they’d give you a 100k warranty on tires. Why give you a free replacement for a part that is expected to wear out?

I don’t know about you but I still don’t know the length of the warranty (if any) on the batteries.

With that last paragraph you’ve been algored by your own argument. Fuel cells are just another form of energy storage device; essentially they are batteries.

No, Mike. What I’m saying is they’re not going to warranty the batteries for longer than their normal life, no more than they’d give you a 100k warranty on tires. Why give you a free replacement for a part that is expected to wear out?

I don’t know about you but I still don’t know the length of the warranty (if any) on the batteries.

That’s right they’re NOT…The battery should last a LOT LONGER then the warranty…

So since the warranty is 8yr/100,000 miles…that means the battery last a lot longer then that…So thank you for proving my point and agreeing with me.

To each their own. I still maintain that if you get another small, non-hybrid car, you will be approaching, possibly even matching that mileage for highway driving.

And most people (like myself) agree that if most of your driving is highway…then a Hybrid is NOT a good choice…but if you do most of your driving off the highway or in traffic…then you’d be hard pressed to find a non-hybrid vehicle that comes even close…The cost is easily justified.

A fuel cell can maybe be thought of as a battery where you replace the electrolyte. (the fuel) In another sense, they are much more like an engine than a battery–they ‘burn’ fuel to produce energy.

A fuel cell that could run on methane, for example, would be extremely economical to run and to find fuel for, unlike a hydrogen fuel cell.

Of course, if we ever manage to create a sustainable fusion reaction, all our worries would be over as far as fuel and energy are concerned.