Buy used or new Honda Odyssey?

Not yet - we haven’t done our 80k service yet and the maintenance minder hasn’t said to replace it yet. I get what they’re trying to do with the maintenance minder, but for stuff like the timing belt it would be nice if they had some sort of published guideline about when to replace it. All I can find in the manual is to do it at 60k for ‘severe service’

Speaking of - does anyone know why towing a trailer would necessarily make the timing belt go sooner?

For the 2011 Odyssey the service manual states to replace the timing belt @120,000 miles for normal service, 60,000 miles for severe service.

Trailer towing and frequent driving in temperatures above 110 F greatly increases the under hood temperatures shortening the life of rubber parts.

1 Like

Based on @Nevada_545’s post and past experience with my V6 Accord, I’d say Honda expects you to hit 120,000 miles in 8 years. The rule for my 2005 was 105,000 miles or 7 years. You should expect to do it real soon now. It’s an interference engine and if the belt breaks while you’re driving, the engine almost certainly will be destroyed. Consider getting estimates soon. I had mine done at the dealer, and the cost was actually best there.

2 Likes

I did, yes.

Did you buy a new Honda or replace a timing belt?

timing belt