Burning "4 quarts" of oil a day?

Well, at least he is killing some mosquitoes with that oil smoke, assuming that he isn’t in the northern part of The US.

:wink:

Along with ruining his catalytic converter. Killing insects while a noble result, is the canary in the cage. :wink: I would be surprised it’s still alowed on the road…any state inspections ?

I’m currently avoiding work by sitting at my computer drinking coffee… :slight_smile:

1 Like

As this is a discussion forum about car problems, I’m discussing stuff about car problems … :wink:

Awhile back, we all determined the 4qts a day was a complete fabrication, with no basis in fact, and we let it rest . . . until you decided to revive it

And now it’s going strong again

And now guys are talking about smoking, killing mosquitoes, etc.,

Yeah I know but its been really boring around here lately.

1 Like

…to his credit or does he get a demerit?

It’s not like we have to get a broom and dust pan out after each post, it’s only another post.

In 1964 just before going to the draft, my 1953 Chevrolet was burning a quart every 30 miles. I took a trip to Arkansas, almost 600 miles, one day down, one day back. Each day I used 20 quarts of oil, figure it out.So, it’s not an issue of 4 quarts in a day; it’s an issue of 4 quarts in 25 miles.

I don’t imagine how a car could use a quart every 6 miles, but I have been called a liar for saying mine used a quart every 30 miles, even though it did.

And, no, no major cloud of smoke. At that time, someone did suggest the main seals. I came back a year later and put a rebuilt engine and transmission in it, then drove it 2050 miles to fort Lewis in 50 hours.

Yeah, the proposed solution is correct. If it starts after 2500 miles on oil, change the oil then.