Buick enclave air conditioning

Why should the blend door change position when the passenger compartment requires cold air?

Why should a car fail to crank when the owner turns the key to ā€œstartā€?

Itā€™s not normal. It did not do that when I first bought the car. The AC light button turns off when the AC cuts out. I turn the car off. The engine fan continues to run. When it stops, I crank the car back up and the AC light, and this the AC comes back on.

It does not.

Now that we know what is actually happening, you are having an overheating problem causing you to think you are having a A/C problemā€¦ Like Tester and Nevada saidā€¦

Fixing the overheating issue will/should fix your A/C issuesā€¦

quote=ā€œdavesmopar, post:25, topic:190472ā€]

Now that we know what is actually happening, you are having an overheating problem causing you to think you are having a A/C problemā€¦ Like Tester and Nevada saidā€¦

Fixing the overheating issue will/should fix your A/C issues
[/quote]

My guess, at the minimum, you need a new thermostat and a cooling system flush, then refill radiator with the specified coolant. You might need a new radiator. Or it could be the coolant sensor.
What does the engine temperature show on your instrument display show when the AC turns off?
What is the outside temperature display showing.

Would be helpful if a photo of the service report was uploaded.

Bottom line, I my opinion, you need a better mechanic that has the correct diagnostic tools.

ā€œBut to find out if this is whatā€™s happening, a scanner needs to be connected to monitor live data from the computer.

Testerā€

Iā€™m not convinced that weā€™ve gotten the full story here. However, if this is whatā€™s actually happening, Iā€™d like to point out to the OP that repeated overheating can kill an engine quickly, so this needs to be solved immediately.

1 Like

Quick mention that the instrument cluster will actually display a specific warning if the engine is to hot and the AC is disabled. If error is not appearing, it is unlikely related to engine temperature.

1 Like

There is no warning that the engine is overheating. The AC cuts out randomly. There is no rhyme or reason. Some days it can be really hot outside (80ā€™s) and sometimes lower temps.

But the first shop said it was reading high:

It doesnā€™t have to actually be overheating for the engine management computer to think it is- like a bad/intermittent signal from a flaky sensor.

When it thinks it is higher than the trip point, it disables the A/C.

Another potential indicator that this is what is happening is this:

It does that when it thinks the engine needs to cool down.

A decent mechanic (or friend) with an entry level scanner can read the engine temp (as the engine computer see it) and tell if that is whatā€™s happening. Then it comes down to is it real or a bad sensor?

1 Like

My Corollaā€™s engine fan always turns off when engine is turned off. But my prior VW Rabbitā€™s engine fan routinely would continue to run after engine turned off. The engine fan behavior varies car vs car. Since you arenā€™t seeing any dashboard overheating warnings, suggest to ask shop to display the coolant temperature using their scan tool. This will display the temperature the drivetrain computer measures, which may or may not be the actual coolant temperature. If I had this problem, thatā€™s what Iā€™d do as the next step.

That question was rhetorical, doesnā€™t apply to your car. I was attempting to address the poster above asking why an hvac door would behave that way? ; i.e. it behaves that way because something is broken,

The sensor was replaced last summer. It has been replaced again because evidently it was faulty. Hopefully this resolves the problem.

1 Like

Hopefully whoever is using quality parts and not AutoZone junk, or the cheaper option at a given parts storeā€¦ lol

They used OEM parts (at least this time). It was under warranty.

1 Like