Broken tinted glass

Honestly, this is only true for idiots. Reasonably-intelligent adults with half a clue do not get confused by this point.

I’m not surprised that your Honda dealership was careful to explain that wear items aren’t covered, because… Well, let’s be real. I worked retail when I was putting myself through college. Customers are morons. Businesses know that, and businesses that don’t want to deal with angry morons explain the obvious a lot.

But that doesn’t mean they’re required to or that they’re being somehow deceitful if they don’t. I think it’s OK to expect people not to be morons.

I suppose that to a certain group of people the word “warranty” could create the false impression that anything is covered, including wear items.

I just don’t know who is in that certain group as I’ve never met anybody who sincerely believes that.

The term “bumper-to bumper” warranty is used to explain that virtually everything is covered against defects in workmanship and materials, and to differentiate that part of the warranty from the “drivetrain” warranty (which usually runs for a longer time/miles period).

I know of no car manufacturers’ warranties that cover wear items. I have seen agreements (usually called “Service Contracts”) that cover wear items, too, (at a cost) but not manufacturers’ warranties that are included with a vehicle purchase. To include wear items would be foolish for a manufacturer.

I suppose calling a car “new” can create a false impression in some people because some cars have 4.2 to 15.8 miles on them when delivered.

For those few folks having trouble understanding basic warranty terminology and coverage, the car should include warranty information. If not, ask for it. Then read it. Failure to do so is the total responsibility of the buyer.
CSA
:evergreen_tree::sunglasses::evergreen_tree:

My goodness, I’ve never spent so much time defending an opinion about how to best manage customers’ expectations. If this site didn’t finally offer the ability to block users, I’d probably be facing multiple dissenters. :wink:

Yup!
I can recall that ok4450 mentioned a woman who insisted that the warranty on her car covered all maintenance, and that she shouldn’t have had to pay for oil changes, tire rotations, etc. (This was in the days before complementary maintenance for the first couple of years.)

Of course, if she had read and understood the details of her various warranties, she would have realized that she was wrong, but reading comprehension is a lost art, it seems…
:thinking:

2 Likes

Well, at one time, AMC did have warranty coverage that even covered things like worn out wiper blades and brake shoes. Their advertising even boasted of full coverage of everything on the car for the first couple of years. However, that was the period when they entered really deep financial straits, so this was probably an act of desperation on their part.

1 Like

I don’t block people who disagree with me about warranty verbiage. I guess I’m too adult to do such things. :wink:

1 Like

I have the information about Honda Certified pre-owned car warranty and understand the coverage details. I was worried and upset about finding the broken glass and wanted to know how to proceed. At the same note, I did not want this incident turning into disagreements or such. Thanks.

Oh my, that does sound like quite the week!

So, for starters, there doesnt necessarily need to be documentation of an accident for one to have occured. It’s not terribly uncommon for someone to simply never claim an accident if it didnt involve another driver in order to avoid increased insurance premiums. The previous owner could have hit a stop sign or something and simply taken the vehicle to a body shop (or a friend/family owner with body shop experience) to get the vehicle repaired on the downlow.

Additionally, I agree with jtsanders in that you’re far more likely to get a straight answer about your vehicle’s history from your insurance company than from a stealership. Particularly a used-car stealership.

If you do manage to find that there was an accidnet involving the car, you should have no trouble convincing the dealership the cover the cost of any related repairs such as that seatbelt.

Even if you dont find proof of such an incident, you may have enough evidence to convince the dealership to repair the seatbelt anyway, on good faith. Much beyond that, you may be SOL unless something else crops up to assist your case. Best of luck!

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Who said that was my reason? It’s a mere benefit.

Dear all,
I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July. I would like to update you that the dealer cleaned the glass and fixed the seat belt as it is under warranty. So, I have a working seat belt and the car is clean from broken glass debris. Thanks for your input and guidance. Have a fantastic day.

2 Likes