Broken Right Front Spring on 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T

Hello fellow Car Talk Enthusiasts:

Today, I took my 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T with 67,000 miles on it to a local mechanic to check the right front suspension that has been making a clunking sound when hitting potholes, etc. I was told that the right front coil spring is broken. This afternoon, I looked on line on some of the Saab discussion boards and saw that for cars up 2006 that there was an extended warranty offered for 10 years and 120,000 miles due to multiple cars with this problem caused by an, allegedly, faulty design that allowed the springs to corrode and fail prematurely in snow belt states that salt the roads.

Does anyone know if this warranty applies to this 2007 model and/or if it is still being honored by GM or the North American SAAB parts company?

Thanks for the advice in advance,
Sven

I didn’t think any warranties were in force. A Saab forum would know.

7 years is not extraordinary for a spring to break. You have to repair it ASAP, and replace the other side while you’re at it.

Thanks for the advice. I am planning on having both front springs replaced. For now the car is staying at the shop until I get a clear idea of whether or not the spring “warranty” applies to my car. I was going to contact the dealership that I bought the car at, which is part of the new Saab Service Network, tomorrow to see if I can get a straight answer. I’m also leery of buying another set of OEM Saab front springs unless they have the issue worked out (redesigned coating or perches, whatever).

There’s no reason to buy genuine Saab springs

I once bought NAPA springs for my Toyota, when one of them broke. There was no difference in ride height or handling