Should I sell my SAAB?

I own a 2007 Saab 9-3, <35k miles, great shape, no (current) issues. Front coil springs recently broke --> many hoops to jump through to (force dealer to) track down a new set and get them installed. So, I am wondering, with Saab gone, and the value of my car plummeting, should I unload it now, while (if?) I can get anything for it, or just keep it and drive as long as it lasts, hoping I have few maintenance issues and parts become easier to obtain?

Both arguments have validity. I would not decide it on a financial basis as either way you could loose with a car with less then steller repair record and lost resale value… If the car is still enjoyable to drive, it’s safe and you feel the expected repairs are worth it. Keep it. Any doubt in your mind on any fronts, trade it and take your lumps like you will got ANY car that has only 35k miles on it with plenty of serviceable life left. Only you can say if it’s financially worth it and something you can afford to do.

Moog manufactures them, and I imagine they will for a while. I’d fine someone else to work on your car. And I’d keep it. You can always use surplus parts for the few that you can’t find in the aftermarket.

I would fix it and just use it up. It has litttle market value, so you might as well nurse it along until it becomes a nuisance or too expensive to fix.

The only problem I see here is possibly the reason for the springs breaking. Do you live in a rust prone state?
If so, I would imagine this car has other rust issues and you should consider getting rid of it.

If not, then there are options. A look shows that (allegedly) the front struts are interchangeable with a number of late model GM vehicles including Envoys, Trailblazers, Buicks, etc, etc, etc.

You do not need to have the dealer do this job and you can’t force the issue on a car line that GM no longer provides for. Not only do the cars disappear off of the lots but the parts in the warehouses are also cleaned out.
With only 35k miles on the car you should keep it unless there’s a nagging rust issue invovled. Coil spring breakage is practically unheard of short of some contributing factor such as rust, giant potholes, and so on.

Another vote to keep it as long as it’s not a rust problem car. Get connected to the Saab owners, I’m sure there are forums where folks can trade advice on getting parts. I bet Rockauto and others has most all maintenance parts.

The big depreciation already happened when Saab went under, just keep driving it, you might get lots more years out of it.

I’d drive it as long as it lasts. As long as the engine’s innards (it isn;y blowing smoke or having trouble getting out of its own way), the drivetrain isn’t acting up, the chassis is sound, and there isn’t a rot problem, it’s still a good car. Its value on the used car market has already tanked, so there’s no reason not to keep it.

I have a 2010 9-3 that has been very good. I have put 30k on it already and no problems. The springs are a known problem, but a easy fix. I talked to my dealer and they have most parts, except for ignition parts which are back ordered. I was worried at first, but now I calmed down.

The parts situation is only going to be temporary, the parts will soon start flowing. Just keep driving it and enjoy it.

Broken coil springs on such a new car with that low miles, seems bizzare. Fix it if you can get upgraded springs that will last. As to holding onto this car far into the future? That is a tough one, most likely it won’t get you a decent price on resale. Your best bet is to drive it into the ground and hope you can get the parts needed when it has problems. If you get 10 years out of it, sell it and count yourself lucky.

A look at ALLDATA does not show any service bulletins for coil spring problems and these cars actually have very few TSBs at all out on them.

However, there is a TSB for modification of the upper strut mounts. If rust and/or very rough roads did not cause this spring breakage then it could well have been caused by the strut mounts binding and could possibly have been seen coming.
The symptom would have been banging or clunking in the front suspension and if ignored the springs can break. In a nutshell (and assuming no rust, etc is involved) the springs did not die a natural death.

TSB 731-2643 issued back in 2008.

steveng - why do you think ‘parts will start flowing again’?

My problem with keeping this car is that, now, it IS worth something. There are SAAB nuts out there now who still find them of value. I know a couple. If much severe goes wrong with it, I really see no guarantee that enough parts, except from the salvage yard will be available.

IMO, it is just as valid a reason to trade a car when it not only becomes unreliable but the ability to get it the repaired does as well. It totally depends upon the access that OP has to local independents who can get parts for a reasonable price who are working on it now. The idea that you can sell it in ten years after it’s useful life is without to merit to me. Unless someone else picks up the banner by then, it’s worth NOTHING long before then…and even well cared for SAABs will have more troubles.

Again, I can see a reasonable argument each way. One of the reasons I got rid of a Sidekick, and later Suzuki outboard, were the availability of parts at a reasonable price and locals who could work on them. They were worth a lot more when running well. Keeping a car along time is worth it when they are very reliable for you, or inexpensive to repair. SAABs in my experience are neither.

Newer Saabs 2004 and up are very reliable. Search any Saab forum and you will see that certain years did have problems with the springs. From what I read the parts is a separate business and future parts wont be a problem.

I traded in a 2008 Honda accord for my Saab. My Saab has been trouble free and the Honda wasn’t.

Keep it and drive it into the ground. You might be thinking about selling it, but no one is thinking about buying a SAAB.

From what I can tell, this is about a $10k car right now. 100% ‘no sales’ on Ebaymotors. Get 3 more years out of it and you be money well ahead, just about regardless of what it’s worth at that time.

My brother was in the same situation back in the 1960s when he owned a 1963 Studebaker Lark. Sometimes, getting a part was a headache. We combed wrecking yards to find a tail light lens. He had to have the alternator rebuilt and it was difficult to find the parts for a Prestolite alternator. He carried a spare fuel pump in case he needed one. However, ignition and carburetor parts interchanged with other makes.
In my brother’s case, he saw a 1963 Buick LeSabre advertised by a dealer at a really low price. When he investigated the Buick, he found that it had low mileage and drove perfectly. He was given such a good offer to trade cars that he thought something was fishy. The salesman finally confessed that the Buick wouldn’t sell because it was a big car with a manual transmission and no power equipment. He also said that while my brother was road testing the Buick, he called a girl that was a potential customer that was looking all over for a Studebaker and she had come in and looked at my brother’s car. She bought the Studebaker as soon as my brother traded it. Maybe you will get lucky and there is some little girl out there who has to have a Saab.