Broken Hood Release Strap on 2003 VW Passat

The hood release strap broke on my 2003 VW Passat. It fully came out from under the hood while the hood was closed. I had the car at a shop the day before, picked-up the car at night and found the part dangling above the grill the next morning (the work included work under the hood so they were the last ones to open the hood). Of course the shop knows nothing about it and said they’ve never heard of this happening before. The part broke at the end under the hood that connects to the release point and cannot be repaired (two eyelets broke on this plastic part). I found the part can be bought on-line for about $11 plus shipping. Obviously the first step is I have to somehow get a tool under the hood to release the hood where the strap made the release in the past. The question is how do I do that? Thanks for your assistance.

Take the Passat to a local body shop. They run into this all the time on all makes and models. They are my “go to” guys when things like this happens.

Depending on where the pull broke off, you may be able to reach in with needlenose pliers and grab the remaining bit. If not, it’s a rather tedious exercise with a stiff wire to reach into the latch and pull the lever.

If you really don’t want to go to a body shop, go find another 2003 Passat and ask the owner to open the hood. Look it over, maybe you can get some ideas. Sometimes you can take out the grille.

Try using a rachet with long extensions to remove the bolts that hold the hood latch, if they are visible.
Maybe go up from the bottom between the condenser and bumper. You might need to remove the undercover. A plastic shield under the ft end.

After you get it open you need to keep the latch lubricated. I see this often, A hood latch that wont work and it dryer than all get out.