Brick laying machine, we still have streets with brick pavers, do you? This is way cool!

One of Mississippi’s many flambouyant governors is said to have strongly supported paving streets with bricks. He is quoted saying “brick streets are financially superior. When they wear out the bricks can be turned over and re-used.” I was just looking on google earth for brick paved streets that I recall driving on years ago and the only ones found were Beale St in Memphiss and a few streets in NOLA. Of course all of those are kept brick for historical/tourist attraction.

And speaking of NOLA, might archeologists centuries from now dive down south of Lake Pontchetrain and think they have discovered Atlantis and surmise that it sank from the weight of all the alcohol that was drunk there. Of course if they find that Walmart store on Tchoupitoulas St they’ll get things straightened out.

Same.I can usually tell which company paved the roads in my area,by the vibration and harmonics my vehicle transmits into the cab area(the people that use vibratory rollers sometimes beat the the fresh “tarmac” to death trying to achieve compaction,I have watched some of those Guys beat the asphalt till it looked like the rollers steel drums were ready to jump off the surface,I would say that most surfaces outside of planed or smooth finish concrete are going to be a bit rough,its the nature of the beast and the size of the aggregate has a bearing also,“S” series toppings are smoother then “B” series due to the size and nature of the aggregates and binding compounds and mixtures,I was on crutches once and I can appreciate the challenge that Handicapped people have accessing things we take for granted(I always thought that woman in the third trimester of pregnancy should be automatically issued a Handicap permit for a fixed period,say for 9 months,any thoughts on that?(3 months before delivery and 6 months after)New Moms could stand a helping hand.

When I was one of our town board members…we had to take core samples after each road was paved…because some companies would try to skimp and not put down the proper base and the 6-8" base coat and 2-4" top coat. It costs a lot of money to do it properly…and when we pay that amount of money we expect it to be done right.

In Minnesota anyway it is up to the Doc to certify that a person has a mobility impairment. The doc signs the form and the DMV issues the permit. So it should not be a problem for a pregnant person to get a handicap permit. I suspect though that like many of us, its a matter of not wanting to take a stall away from someone that would need it more.

. I suspect though that like many of us, its a matter of not wanting to take a stall away from someone that would need it more.

Oh how I wished that were true. I worked with a guy that had HDCP plates because of his wife. He drove it to work every day and parked in a HDCP spot all the time…and HE was perfectly healthy…just a jerk.

Some Gals just cant get around good,when with child and after the baby comes there are a lot of issues and adjustments in the first 6 months.I would have to say the first child is probaly the hardest because most young parents dont have the experience yet.
@Mike,I know i shouldnt mention this but,I look askance at these monster 4x4s(you need a step ladder to climb up in)wearing handicap plates.My wife is pretty heavy and has health issues and has a hard time getting around and the Drs wont let Her have handicap plates(and somehow She managed to be a Home Health Nurse for 15 yrs(She made me drive Her on visits during bad weather-I dont miss driving Her to Bluegrass and Highland county during winter weather)

We have a lady at work that husband died, and she drives his truck, and keeps a step ladder handy, no handicap plates though. Remember at a buffet place, slight rain, viewing handicap parking spots while dining, car pulls up with tag, 6 occupants all run to get inside fast, now I cannot judge all the reasons for a sticker, but bogus was in my thought.
So many people may be able to walk but clog a lane waiting for somebody in the front lines to finish packing groceries to get their parking spot. I can walk, passed the guy on the left, and he was still blocking the lane as I was entering the grocery store. Shaking head in disbelief when it happens at the gymn, can’t walk too far to go exercise! Butt maybey they have issues, can’t judge too soon I suppose.

The worst abuse of handicap privileges I ever saw was in Yosemite Park, in the valley. It was over 100 degrees and my wife and I and out 14 year old West Highland White Terrier were suffering in the heat. We were denied a ride on the shuttle bus because of the heat.

A Van had just arrived in the parking lot at the same time as we did. The DRIVER got out, wearing dark sunglasses and clipped a handle on the harness his Golden Retriever was wearing, took a white cane out of his car and THEY got on the shuttle bus.

For anyone that thinks brick streets can’t handle snowplowing, come to Buffalo NY. Most our brick streets are in old industrial neighborhoods or neglected residential ones, but Niagara Falls Blvd. from Main St. to the city line is brick. It was covered with asphalt at one time but uncovered and reset when the city got interested in its architectural history. It is a heavily traveled section of US 62 and a truck route.

I wish the state highway department would pave the lane part of the road between me and town with bricks. Even broken bricks would be an improvement over the asphalt job they always do; and are currently doing.

It never ceases to amaze me that they can pave a section of roadway that is not that bad and make it 10 times worse before the flagman goes home in the evening.

My father told the story of watching workers lay the bricks for the Main street in our home town. It was 100 years ago this year that the four blocks of “downtown” were done. Later the main streets were bricked for MANY blocks. He said that the BIGGEST man he’d ever seen used a single bottom plow pulled by a mule. The plow turned over the dirt of the street just deep enough to be replaced by the bricks. No additional compaction was needed as it had been mashed down by many years of horse and buggy use. Other men were busy carting off the upturned dirt, always plowed in the same direction. The man who laid the bricks was what we call a little person today. He worked on his knees. I guess he was closer to his work, but he could work very fast as two guys were needed to feed the bricks to him.

Most of those streets still have their original brick pavement.

All I can say is wow,MG.I have heard some parts of the “Appain way” are still usable,just yesterday it struck my how big vehicles have become when trying to get into an old school Kroger parking lot and when I got out , watched this huge machine go by,I think it was called a Fusion.But you no what?I think bulk equates to safety.

Brick looks nice and lasts a long time…but it’s extremely when wet. And when a brick sticks up a little because of frost heaves…and then snow piles on…the plow comes along and sens that brick flying.

One idiot we had in NH decided to put those reflective lens between lanes on rt 3a one year. Unfortunately he got the wrong kind. The ones your suppose to use in snow country are recessed…but this idiot bought the ones that stuck up…first snow…and the plow goes by sending those reflectors flying all over the road…some through parked car windows.

Yeah those yellow reflectors look like animal eyes at night too. Driving cross country at night a couple weeks ago some of those yellow reflectors used for road construction had come loose and were scattered in middle of lanes. They looked just like skunk or raccoon eyes at night causing me some concern until I figured out what was going on.

The reflectors are nice in bad weather but don’t stand up to snow plows too well here.

Brick looks nice and lasts a long time...but it's extremely when wet.

Yeah, I hate those extremely roads, too.

Several of my neighbors have brick driveways. They look very nice but clearing the snow is a pain. Over time the bricks get out of alignment and your snow pusher (shovel) gets caught in the ridges.

Here no one has asphalt since it gets wobbly de to the spring frost heave. Nearly all driveways are concrete, except for those who wanted bricks.

I have a ribbon driveway I put salvaged old brick pavers in, yes it looks smooth, but the old 2 cycle single stage would get a hiccup or 2 on the occasional brick. Here the village to the south of us many drives are concrete, but the approaches are required to be asphalt to prevent snow plow damage.

I did as mentioned previously shaving off enough dirt to allow for the bricks, that still produced a lot of heavy dirt to get rid of. Upgraded to a $75 used 2 stage ariens, got tired if fighting the windrow at the end of the drive. Maybe we won’t get any snow so I will not have to test it, (doubtful!)

Yeah, I hate those extremely roads, too.

Still waiting little mouse.

Squeak!

That’s the most intelligent thing you’ve ever said in this forum.