Brick laying machine, we still have streets with brick pavers, do you? This is way cool!

I’ve noticed two different types of brick walkways. The low usage type that are laid over gravel and sand. And the high usage type that starts with a concrete foundation, then a layer of asphalt, and then the bricks set into the hot asphalt.

An example of the latter is Copley square in Boston.

OK now I’m less impressed after watching a couple youtubes on the paving machines. Two guys or more have to stand up there grabbing bricks and laying them in the troth for the machine to then lay them down. Then two more guys running Bobcats load the bricks and maybe another guy or two running the machine. It is very very slow and 5 or 6 guys. So compare that to an asphalt or even concrete paver and they do miles in a day with less labor.

I think in the US we just have a whole different approach to productivity. I remember watching the garbage detail in Amsterdam once emptying the public garbage cans. They used a big vacuum cleaner truck with one guy positioning the hose over the garbage can and another guy running the vacuum. Around here one guy can pick up a whole neighborhood of trash in the time it took them to do one receptacle. There’s always a buyer though for any thing.

If you do google images and look for winthor snowblower hopefully it will turnip. or you can try this link http://theoldmotor.com/?p=1239

The town I grew-up has just a few snow plows…but they do have several 16’ snow blowers that attach to a loader. Too much snow that can come down at 4-6 inches an hour.

https://google.com/search?q=snow+blowing+trucks%27&biw=1586&bih=904&tbm=isch&imgil=BDlp9QPdfGkTeM%253A%253Bkj2LIFIAkR7bAM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.oshkoshairport.com%25252Fen%25252FSnowTrucks%25252FHSeries%25252Fh-series-blower&source=iu&pf=m&fir=BDlp9QPdfGkTeM%253A%252Ckj2LIFIAkR7bAM%252C_&usg=__pOrxSfhoyHxY2zU5ufjq3g-F5EQ%3D&ved=0CDIQyjdqFQoTCKLP39mI9cgCFQY6Jgod1H4AMA&ei=sBU5VqK3LIb0mAHU_YGAAw#imgrc=BDlp9QPdfGkTeM%3A&usg=__pOrxSfhoyHxY2zU5ufjq3g-F5EQ%3D

Boston used to have some brick streets long ago, but they got all busted up and were eventually replaced (many years ago) with pavement.

Lowell and Lawrence MA still have some brick streets. They get bumpy…but they are still original.

@“the same mountainbike” My bad, another new word for you, should have been acanthus leaves!

Ah, that makes more sense… :smile:

Well the bricks they laid for walkways in the streets at Hot springs have held up very nice,they are a different composition then the red clay pavers and resist wear very well,I think they are laid over a concrete foundation though which pretty much keeps the frost heave at bay(they catch plenty of salt during the snowstorms)

Perhaps, but when I see brick walkways I always feel sorry for those in wheelchairs. I would much rather see smooth and level than pretty. We owe it to those who have to use chairs.

I've noticed two different types of brick walkways. The low usage type that are laid over gravel and sand. And the high usage type that starts with a concrete foundation, then a layer of asphalt, and then the bricks set into the hot asphalt.
When I did my car park, I dug the soil 10" down, put down 2B aggregate, worked it with a plate compacter, dumped sand, screeded it level, laid bricks, dumped more sand and brushed it into the cracks. Not sure how "hardcore" that is, but it's holding up to daily use.

Actually laying brick was the EASY part!

MJ actually,you have probaly just paid yourself with a durable attractive walkway that will require minimum maintainence.It actually makes a good floor in a home(with the proper vapor barrier of course)
@Same,the brick walkways I’m familiar with are no obstacle to wheelchairs,I have seen water run over these walkways and not harm them.Its really a good system,if done correctly.The trouble with anything like this is the pressure from the “contact patch” of the tires from a truck or auto(pretty heavy in that little area,psi wise) it stresses brittle materials and susbstrate.

About the only places around me with brick pavers are private driveways and the crosswalks in the town of Vienna VA. The town completely screwed up traffic on the main north/south route for months to tear up perfectly good asphalt and put in brick crosswalks. I guess they had to use up the budget some where.

@Same,the brick walkways I'm familiar with are no obstacle to wheelchairs,I have seen water run over these walkways and not harm them

Modern brick walkways are fine. The ones from 200 years ago are NOT. There are still some brick walkways and roads here in New England that have been around for over 200 years. They really should be replaced…but the historical societies have blocked that.

They’ve even attempted in some cases to block the installation of ramps IAW ADA requirements.

The ones from 200 years ago are NOT. There are still some brick walkways and roads here in New England that have been around for over 200 years.
That's living history, Mike. Why would you want to pave over one of the most historical areas of the USA? Perhaps bulldoze Old Town Santa Fe and toss up some trailers while you're at it?
That's living history, Mike. Why would you want to pave over one of the most historical areas of the USA?

Never said you should. Just pointing it out. Got to Faneuil hall in Boston…it’s the original brick. Very difficult to walk on…especially during the winter. I have no desire to change it.

I dunno, around here dirt roads were history too but they were paved over. I think brick is fine for driveways, some accent paths, and might be cheaper for crosswalks, but really for roads not so good.

Does that suprise you?Our county has a good surplus and we still basically depend on volunteer firefighters and EMTs(I guess they would rather spend it on a new"overlook"{in the wrong place of course} or promoting tourism.I dont know who got in charge,but it seems our priorities are sure skewed.

Quite a machine. Love to see it live. San Francisco has a curious use of bricks. At certain intersections you’ll find a big ring of bricks almost the diameter of the intersection, for no obvious reason. They mark big cisterns of emergency water for use by the fire department. There is also a secondary network of high pressure hydrants that look quite different from the regular hydrants and have a water supply separate from the general supply.

Both systems were built after the 1906 eartquake/fire when most of the city’s hydrants had no water due to broken lines, often just the supply lines to buildings. One working hydrant kept the fire from spreading to the Mission District and beyond, saving tens of thousands of houses and countless lives. On the quake anniversary part of the observances is giving that hydrant a new coat of paint.

Kevin, if you ever (God forbid) have to ride in a wheelchair, you’ll discover that even new brick sidewalks create vibration.

The sidewalks in Concord NH were just torn up and redone, and IMHO they did the correct think. They have a smooth, level concrete center for wheelchairs and brick sides. It’s beautiful, “old school” aesthetically, and comfortable for even the handicapped.

A neighbor across the street from me owns a 1925 Galion road grader which he has parked about 2 blocks away.
It’s designed to be towed by a tractor which makes it a 2 man operation of course.

I’ve been on the operator’s floor of that thing and marveled at what the operator must have gone through while grading roads. No shelter from heat or cold and a dozen or so levers and wheels to control various functions through gear reduction and so on. Hydraulics were a myth…

Imagine cranking that blade up and down by hand along with controlling every other angle and function the same way.

I need to take a few pics of that beast and post them. It’s a fascinating piece of iron and especially when thought is given to the poor smuck riding on it.