Breaks or brakes?

That’s watt happens when ewe use the computers spell check as you’re proof reader.:wink:

There’s lots more to proof reading than making sure words are spelled correctly. There’s no such thing as a Yamaha or Honda Jet-Ski® for example.

Boy do I miss Tom McCahill – Knew is stuff when it came to cars and was a great wit.

This kind of reminds me of a discussion I heard on the radio about the proper pronunciation of the Russian Capital Moscow. Some prominent news anchor insisting that there’s no “cow” in “Moscow”, it’s pronounced Mos-coe.

And here I always thought that Москва́ is pronounced “mosk-va” accent on the second syllable.

I particularly like that quote about the 1957 Pontiac :yum:

And right You are.
My neighbor is Russian and actually claims that there are at least a few cows in that city and they should be sent to the slaughterhouse NOW - as they are in a wrong job.:innocent:

1 Like

I can put up with improper grammar or spelling far easier than I can someone using Textese to converse with.

Like they say, I feel your pain. Drives me nuts too. Part of the issue I think is robots now compose news stories and not real humans. So not only do the editors not read the stuff, no actual person with a journalist degree reads them either.

There may not be a cow in Moscow but there is a moo in Москва́ if you pronounce it correctly.:wink:
However with a population of 11.9 million people, who knows?

1 Like

Just saw another one, in a paper newspaper this time:

Car drives into storefront
Driver accidentally hit gas instead of breaks, police said.

Well maybe in the long long run it wouldn’t have been so bad if we all were speaking German.

Knew is stuff?? give me brake

OK, new his stuff and was a great wit :slight_smile:

break (verb) = brechen
brake = automobilbremse or bremse

We would quickly wear out our fingertips typing in German.

There could be an argument made that if they work, they are brakes, and if they don’t work they are breaks. :smiley:

3 Likes

That sentence is short a few adjectives such as #$%^ and &@#% and of course the ever popular @#$(#)& &*#$&)

(this is a family site so… use your imagination!)

Yeah, when your brakes go south, that’s the breaks.

2 Likes