Breaks or brakes?

Even the news “reporters” can’t spell !!

Hingham Police arrested two drivers on Friday were found passed out at the wheel.

In the first incident, an officer discovered a man asleep in the driver’s seat around 4:30 a.m. on Derby Street with his foot on the breaks and the car still in drive, police said. The officer pulled his car in front of the suspect’s vehicle to prevent it from rolling it forward.

Are there no editors in the world today?

5 Likes

morans

2 Likes

3 Likes

The posted images would be funny if it wasn’t for the fact that one should not be surprised. And it going to get worse.

1 Like

I’ll go a little off-topic

This is not about spelling, but about the incident that BillRussell mentioned

Years ago, a friend of mine was “persuaded” to visit the police station, after an officer happened upon him, stopped at a green light, asleep, car in drive, and his foot on the brake pedal

I lost track of him soon afterward, and don’t know what happened to him, in regards to his adventure

Part of the spelling problem is autocorrect software. Yesterday I typed “political party”, I misspelled something, autocorrect changed it to “police lobbed”.
I think Steve Jobs is somewhere laughing.

One misspelled word – I often see “your” when the person means “you’re”. If you always pronounce “you’re” as “you are” you will always know which word to use. Another word often misspelled is “judgment”. It has only one “e”. Some people can spell any word and others can’t spell very well. I can accept that because I can usually understand what they mean. What drives me up the wall is the people who do not use capitalization or punctuation and are masters of run-on sentences. They never use a conjunction. I have to read and re-read their written word to make sense of it.

1 Like

yes, auto-spell is funny

1 Like

Caught me! I’ll correct. Must have been the beers I had with dinner.

Sorry to say I had to look this up. However, the Wikipedia definition was not too clear:
In grammar, a conjunction is a part of speech that connects words, phrases, or clauses that are called the conjuncts of the conjoining construction. The term discourse marker is mostly used for conjunctions joining sentences. This definition may overlap with that of other parts of speech, so what constitutes a “conjunction” must be defined for each language. In general, a conjunction is an invariable grammatical particle and it may or may not stand between the items in a conjunction.

I long ago learned to turn all such off. OK if it highlights what it thinks is an error, then I can manually correct it. But autocorrect? no way.

Below is an example of what drives me crazy . . . no punctuation or conjunctions. People who do not use punctuation are lazy or never proofread what they type.

in grammar a conjunction is a part of speech connects words phrases clauses called the conjuncts the conjoining construction the term discourse marker mostly used conjunctions joining sentences this definition may overlap that of other parts of speech what constitutes a conjunction must be defined each language in general a conjunction is an invariable grammatical particle it may or may not stand between the items in a conjunction

I also like it when journalists who know nothing about cars write about them and start making wild statements. Read an article this morning about how millennials are starting to get into collecting cars. But they don’t like dealing with unreliable cars, so they aren’t collecting British cars. Instead, said the reporter, they’re swinging toward SUVs like classic Land Rovers and compacts like old-school Minis.

Uh…

2 Likes

It’s not just spelling!
The reporters have mistakes running rampant in spelling, grammar, facts, photos, and everything else included in their day to day news covfefe! :wink:
CSA

3 Likes

:scream:

Yikes!

Hilarious . . .

I guess the millenials didn’t get the message . . . british automobiles aren’t known for reliability, doesn’t matter if it’s an suv, sedan, station wagon, convertible, roadster, etc.

:smirk_cat:

Speaking of British cars. Story in paper about herbie Hancock and how he bought a cobra after salesman made him mad by ignoring him based on his clothes/race? He bought it just to stick it to salesman. It was an early 260ci model with a 2 barrel intake. Don’t know if the 260ci cars had mostly 4 barrel intakes?

However, this also raises the following question:
From which country does that ill-informed “journalist” think that Land Rovers and Minis originated?

:thinking:

1 Like

Yes, the days of old pros–like Tom McCahill–are long gone, unfortunately.
The latest issue of Hemmings Classic Car magazine has a nice (albeit too short) article about old Tom.
Until I read this article, I never knew that he was the journalist who introduced zero-60 as a standard test of acceleration!

He decried the “jello suspensions” of American cars, and was a bit of a hot-rodder, so some of the quotations that they attribute to him are priceless:

Stomping the gas pedal of a 1948 Olds 98 was “like stepping on a wet sponge”.
“The '54 Desoto is as solid as The Rock of Gibraltar–and just as fast.”
Taking curves in a '52 Nash is “like steering a 3 acre lot”.
'57 Buicks handled “like a fat matron trying to get out of a slippery bathtub”, while Fords of the same vintage “cornered as flat as a mailman’s feet”.
The '57 Pontiac’s ride was “as smooth as a prom queen’s thighs”.
Riding in a '53 Kaiser was “as comfortable as a wheel chair upholstered in cream puffs”.