Bravad

I’m considering buying a 2001 Oldsmobile Bravado. Dose anyone have any knowledge of this cars and what specific questions to ask the dealer?

Thanks in advance

As with any used vehicle, how it was maintained by the previous owner or owners is more important than anything else. If you don’t know the maintenance history it’s a crap shoot, regardless of mileage or apparant condition.

You are aware that Oldsmobile is now a discontinued brand, aren’t you? The price you are willing to pay should be adjusted accordingly, because when you try to sell or trade it later it won’t be worth much.

[b][i]You Say Bravado (Or Bravad). . . I Say Bravada.

;-)[/i][/b]

CSA

The same car dealer is also selling a Nissan Maximum, a Toyota Camary, a Buick LaSabra, a Subaru Impressa, and an old Dodge Polaris.

;-))

No Volkswagons ? Not Even A Beatle ?

CSA

Are you suggesting these are better vehicles?

Actually, we were just having a little bit of jest with your tortured spelling of the model name, Bravada. However, if the truth be told, there are many better vehicles than this orphaned one.

The Bravada was merely a pimped-up version of a Chevy Blazer/GMC Jimmy, and the major variations on it are a different grill, a somewhat nicer interior, and a few “bells and whistles”. Unfortunately, none of these vehicles was reliable when it was new, and at least 9 years of wear and tear would not have improved matters.

OOh I get it. Jokes on me. I’m still looking for help in solving my original problem:
The coil on my 93 Jeep Cherokee has died 3 times within the last month. It’s very frustrating seeing that my car breaks down on the highway going around 60 to 70 mph. The first time it happened my mechanic figured it was the coil but couldn’t figure out why it was consistently dying. So far I’ve changed the spark plug wires, distributor, and the rotor. I’m about to take another long trip so I’m a little pensive about traveling not knowing what to expect. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks, Herman Hampton

I bought a 2000 S10 Blazer with 35k miles in 2003 and it has been a high maintenance vehicle. Not counting brakes, oil changes, trans fluid/filter changes, etc, I’ve done the following over the years.

At 44k the intake manifold gasket started leaking coolant into the oil. Coolant displaces the oil from the main bearing and can destroy an engine, the leak was found and repaired before any damage occurred. This is a known problem with GM engines during this time. The gasket was replaced with the dealer splitting the cost 50/50 as a good will repair.

At 67k both front wheel bearings were replaced. The entire hub has to be replaced at $350 each for a rebuilt unit.

I replaced the multifunction switch (turn signal, flasher, cruise) a few years back. The part was ~$200. Figure on paying for 2 or 3 hours of labor. Google “GM multifunction switch”, it’s a known problem.

The front ball joints can be problematic on these trucks. Mine are still holding up at 114k, but the front end is greased at every oil change. The Blazer still has grease fittings.

At 99k the side tank on the radiator cracked and I replaced the radiator, hoses, and thermostat myself.

The starter was replaced at 110k, but I’ll list that under normal wear and tear. The engine and transmission mounts have to be unbolted and the engine raised to get access to the starter. I had the mechanic do the repair.

The 4wd drive stopped working last year, fortunately it turned out to be a $70 vacuum switch. After 9 years the vacuum hoses that operated the 4wd are rotting out and require splicing or replacement. The Bravada has a full time AWD system which is probably more problematic than the part-time system on my truck.

The blend door on the HVAC got stuck last winter and there was no floor heat. The dash has to come out to replace the part and the repair is around $800 (mostly labor). I shoved a coat hangar up the floor vent and poked around until the air flow was 50/50 defrost and floor. At ten years, all the plastic components GM used to save a few dollars are failing.

On the plus side, the body and interior are holding up very well. The engine and transmission are solid at 114k. The truck earned it’s keep with the heavy snow in South Jersey last winter. It’s paid for and currently needs about $500 in repairs and maintenance a year. I bought a 2010 Cobalt in February and the truck is semi-retired. The dealer offered a pittance in trade so I kept the truck.

My private joke is that once all the moving parts are replaced the Blazer is a fine truck.

If you are mechanically inclined, have deep pockets, and a trusty mechanic for the really difficult repairs then go for it. Personally, I would avoid a 9 year old Bravada. It’s way past it’s prime and is going to nickel and dime you to death.

Ed B.

Thanks. Any suggestion for a dependable used SUV>

Honda CRV