Brand of Motorcylce

The “TT” models (Tourist Trophy) were used in off-road events and came with “Trials” tires, a semi-knobby but still street legal…This type of bike morphed into the “Enduro” duel-purpose machine…Yamaha’s XT-500 and TT-500 series of bikes set the standard that is still being copied today…

While you guys are talking about realism for WWII shows, just remember they didn’t have color film then, or TVs. So if you are watching, that’s the ultimate inconsistency with the era.

Movies are made to entertain us and to make money for the producer…The details are unimportant. If you start watching movies frame by frame, you can have a knit-picking field day…

Actually, they DID have color film back then. there’s a TV show that specializes in showing color footage, and there was a photograph collector who specialized in WW2 color photagraphy. I have several of his coffee table books. His name was Jeffrey Ethell, and he lost his life when he crashed a P-38.

I don’t doubt you. You got my point anyway, movies are a fantasy.

Triumphs were used a lot for desert racing years ago.

My memory is pretty hazy on this but I think the bike McQueen used in the movie was a '62 model.
The older Triumphs had a single front downtube rigid frame. Note in the movie the bike had double downtubes and shocks on the rear.

The movie bike also has a glide fork on it. I flat do not remember what year Triumphs went to hydraulic forks but until they did the usual fit was a girder type fork.

It’s the movies and most usually play fast and loose with facts anyway. :slight_smile:

The “Nash Bridges” TV show used to have a website where they encouraged viewers to notice and post inconsistencies from the show. Some were pretty funny.

I missed Steve McQueen as an actor and think he died way too early . Of course we all will do that.
@Bing…agree 100%. For entertainment purpose only.
I rode a Norton 750 for a while and tried to imagine making that “jump” with it. It certainly was fast enough but I certainly wouldn’t be alive today. I am in awe of people who jump motorcycles. I got my bicycle several inches off the ground once.