Brakes

when I put my foot on the brakes I hear a rubbing noise almost like a metal sound. I made an appointment to have my car looked at but am concerned about driving it until next week. What could it be? Dirty brakes or my rotors?

Metal on metal noise is usually worn brake pads needing replacement. Let’s hope you don’t need rotors also!

thank you do you think I can drive it until next week when I have an appointment or will I cause damage

Brake pads worn down to the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx that you hear. It’s already too late, the more you drive it the more you wear out metal to metal parts. you’re probably going to be buying rotors too. drive absolutely as little and as slowly as possible or not at all. Depending on degree of wear, there’s a point when things come apart completely >> NO BRAKES AT ALL << and huge repair costs.

thanks again

I am going to guess that it is not damaging anything .... yet.  IMO I believe it is most likely the indicator that is telling you the brakes are becoming thin and it is time for a brake job.  

If I am right don't be surprised if replacement rotors are recommended.  Modern cars are being fit with light weight rotors.  That is good for most things, but they only really last for one brake job.  The good thing is it cost only a little more to replace them than to have the old ones resurfaced.  You will likely best off by just asking them to replace the rotor anyway.  

Brake pads are wear items and today we need to start thinking of rotors as wear items as well. 

Good luck.

While I normally agree with Mr. Meehan, in this case I am going to disagree with him, and to second what ken green stated. The brake wear sensors in brake pads are designed to make a “cricket-like” noise when the brake pedal is not depressed. Normally, when the brake pedal is depressed, the noise ceases.

In this case, the OP has told us that he/she hears a metallic noise when he/she depresses the brake pedal. I tend to agree with those who stated or implied that the friction surface of the brake pads is now gone, thus resulting in metal-to-metal contact between the pad’s backing and the rotors.

While it is likely that the rotors have already been heavily damaged and will have to be replaced along with the pads, the OP should stop driving the car NOW before the ability to stop the car is really compromised. This is a potential safety issue, so I would suggest that the OP either take the car to a competent mechanic right away ( DO NOT go to Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, Discount Tire, or any other chain operation), or avoid driving the car until the time of the service appointment next week.

I could be wrong in my assessment, but the potential safety issue should be sufficient for the OP to avoid driving any further until a mechanic can examine the brakes.

I agree that the OP should stop driving it until he/she can afford to get the repairs done. Brakes are one thing a lot of drivers take for granted, and are one (of the many) things I don’t skimp out on in reference to repair frequency.