Brakes still squeal after being changed

So I knew my rear brakes were worn out when they started making a nasty rough noise. I changed them and sure enough the front brakes started making a noise. I thought maybe they were worn out too so I got the rotors and pads replaced. I did break them in but the noise is still there. There’s a high pitched squeal when I step on the brakes which was the same noise the previous brakes were making. The noise is only coming from the front driver side and gets louder the more time I spend driving. It’s very annoying.
I change the brakes myself all the time and this has never happened before. The noise has been happening for 3 months with the previous brakes and 4 with the new brakes. I did lube the brake pads I have no idea what can be causing the noise
Please help!!!

So you did the front brakes yourself or you had them done? Not clear from your post.

Check the caliper slides (unless you have the Brembo brakes - no slides) to make sure they are not sticking. Re-check the grease on the back of the pads. If it still squeals, you may have to change the brand of brake pad. I have Brembo calipers on my car and they have a tendency to squeal with a number of different pads. Some pads may be more likely to squeal on some types of cars. Often, changing the brand, or going back to factory pads can make the squeal go away.

Yea I changed them myself. I have Brembo calipers too. I bought EBC red stuff brake pads with rotors. Only the driver side squeals

Try “Disc Brake Quiet”. It is orange goop that goes on the back of the pads and sets up a little bit like caulk to help hold the pads in the caliper and eliminate any squeal. I have used it for many, many years and have never had any brakes squeal.

I know that stuff, and it’s a pain to remove from the brake caliper . . . especially the piston . . . when it’s time for the next brake job

Copper brake paste also seems to work well. I’ve had good luck with that, and it’s easier to remove, IMO

Did your pad kit come with new shims or did you reuse the old ones?
Did the pads slide in easily or did they require a bit of force to get them to seat?

@aracelyr025
"hyundai genesis"

Model-Year?
CSA

@db4690 - I actually find that it peels right off since it is not very sticky. I also don’t go crazy with it so I don’t end up with it all over the place. I find a dab of ceramic brake grease on the pads works pretty well and is a little less messy. I also try to work with pads that come with high quality shims or I recycle the OEM shim hardware. Brake squeal is horribly annoying.

I know what it is, and I’ve never used it myself

But I’ve often had to clean the stuff up, after somebody ELSE used it

Yuck :angry:

You might try some copper grease intended for brake pads on the back side of the pads, as the others here suggest.

You might also try doing a series of stops designed to heat up the pads to bed them in a little better. Drive around the block and apply the brakes fairly hard at each corner. You don’t need to drive fast, just lots of applies until you get a whiff of the hot brake pad smell. Then drive easily with little braking for 10 minutes so they cool. don’t stop as the pad may leave deposits in the one spot it touches. Check for squeal. If there is a small bit of squeal, add copper grease and maybe turn the pads around on that one wheel, if that’s possible with this car. In other words remove the pads and switch their place outside to inside and inside to outside with a little grease. Repeat the bed-in procedure.

If that doesn’t fix it, try a different brand of pad. I like Hawk Brakes Performance Ceramic or HPS pads. Both available for your Genesis.

I always use the orange brake quiet stuff and never had a squeal. But you have to follow the instructions which means you put a light coat on and you let it sit for a few minutes to dry. Then you don’t have to peel anything off the next time.

OP, did you remember to thoroughly clean the new rotors in hot soap and water before installing them? they come with anti-rust stuff on the surface, and it can cause brake squealing if not removed.

Clearly, the guys that I know who use the stuff aren’t very good at reading and following instructions :smirk:

I thought that would help so I bought some a couple of days ago and they still squeal

2011 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track

I have no idea what a shim is :sweat_smile:
They did slide in easily

Brakes typically squeal because the pad backing plate is vibrating against the caliper bracket, caliper piston(s) or brake rotor. The pad backing plate is hard metal and so are the other components. Hard metals vibrating against each other make loud noise.

Dead soft materials are used on the pad backing plate to soften the interface and reduce noise. Sometimes they come fused to the back of the pad or may be separate and clipped onto the pad. For the former, I have seen people throw out the OEM pads and install aftermarkets without a shim kit. Now you have hard metal to metal contact and they squeal.

The other retaining clips are typically found on the caliper brackets top and bottom. They hold tension on the pad and keep it from rattling in the bracket, causing squealing noise. Higher end pad kits often come with replacements if the OE had them. Sometimes, you have to order them separately. Reusing old ones can have mixed results if they do not provide the original performance due to being worn out or corroded.

As an example, see the shims applied to the back of these pads- http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-pads/duralast-gold-brake-pads/649131_421196_1610