Brake pad won't fit

I have a 1995 mazda protege lx 1.5L and I need to replace the brakes. I take off the tire, open up the brake resevoir take out the pins and pads, compress the piston. which gives me space for the inside pad. How do I create space for the outside pad? I need about a .25 inches more? How do I get the outside part of the caliper to move away from the rotor? I tried moving it and it won’t budge. My brother suggested I take off the caliper.

To replace the pads, you MUST remove the caliper from the rotor. Your brother is correct.

To replace the pads, you MUST remove the caliper from the rotor. Your brother is correct.

Is that specific to Mazda brake pads?? MOST brakes I’ve changed you DO have to remove the caliper. But there are many I’ve worked on that you don’t. My 2005 4runner you don’t have to. Just remove the clips…pull out the pads…push the pistons back in and put in the new pads.

Most single sided piston caliper designs are floating. The caliper slides on pins to adjust for pad wear and press evenly on either side. With the pads out and the piston compressed into the bore, you should be able to slide the caliper side to side fairly easily. If not, it should be removed and the pins cleaned and re-greased before proceeding.

Use a C-clamp to compress the piston to create the space for the new (thicker) pads. Just remember to remove the cap on the brake reservoir & wipe brake fluid spilling out of the reservoir.

It’s always good practice to remove the calipers and clean and lube the slides anyway.

For those following along with ABS systems, you’ll need to open the bleeder valve (with a cup of fluid and tube) to push the piston in. Backpressuring the system could damage the ABS system.

But, then, if you’re following the manual, …which EVERYBODY should be working to…, it’ll tell you that anyway.

• mountainbike

Pushing the old fluid back into the master cylinder is NEVER a good idea…I always open the bleeder when retracting the caliper piston…

Mountainbike said “But, then, if you’re following the manual, …which EVERYBODY should be working to…, it’ll tell you that anyway.”

The Haynes manual for my 2000 Camry did NOT mention that. I learned about it from this board a few months ago, soon after I had changed the pads the old way (w/o opening the bleeders). Been worried ever since, that I messed up the ABS. But no problems so far, so I guess I got lucky.