Boy I sure miss good old R-12

Wait, you’re getting air that’s 13 degrees above freezing out of your vent and you think the system isn’t working well enough? :wink:

3 Likes

How much do you sell the r12 for, I have 2 cans in the garage?

Which happens first?
Cancer from the cigarettes? Or skin cancer from UV through the depleted ozone layer.
Last, the whole world decided to stop using R-12.
It’s not just 'Murica.

1 Like

If this is your biggest problem, your life isn’t so bad.

2 Likes

Along with 4-wheel drum brakes!

;-]

1 Like

No AC expert here, but I don’t have the sense that modern car AC systems are any less effective than 1970’s versions. If you are required by product availability to run a certain type of refrigerant in your AC system that was designed for another type, that could make for poor AC performance. No doubt about that.

I thought we have decided that this is fake news. Reguardess r12 has saved more lives than not.

The ice caps haven’t melted either…

Is what you mean by "fake news’, that the relationship isn’t 100% certain?

I do not know this we, but remember from college once you see experts agree in a true and false question, mark it false, Now I have to decide on my seirra club bumper sticker, “MAKE AMERICA GREEN AGAIN” and the workers had bullet proof vests to take down the confederate monuments on new orleans,

You’re living in a fantasy world

I’ve worked on R12 and R134a cars, and modern cars have very efficient and effective ac systems

Modern systems for the most part require far less refrigerant, rob less horsepower from the engine, and will still blow ice cubes in your face

The problem is your car, not the refrigerant

3 Likes

Aren’t there some cars that came along right when the switch was made, so they were designed for R12, but were filled at the factory w/ R134a? Maybe that is what the OP is talking about.

I haven’t exactly seen the Union Jack flying on our flag poles lately.

The ozone hole from cfcs is a lie. Fake news!

This is not one vehicle folks. R12 blew colder. I have a friend with a Buick Electra 225 from 73 and my gosh that has ac! Ice cold. It is not converted. It runs R12.

I am tired of people who sit in offices all day scolding us for being comfortable in our cars and at home.

My ac is set at 67 in my house right now. I come home, was the day off me with a shower that uses about 40 gallons of piping hot water, I put on my slippers and robe and I relax.

The room I sleep in is 62 degrees thanks to a window unit.

And since I live in Indiana a lot of the electricity is produced with coal which is America’s oil.

I am not apologizing for being comfortable.

And I’m tired of the companies trying to suggest our behavior. If a person wants to smoke going down the road in their own car who cares.

A 1973 Buick has ashtrays for everyone because people smoked and we’re happy back then.

I don’t smoke, but I almost wish I fid just to prove a point by God.

And that hot air balloon pilot from last summer was so hopped up on pills and booze when he crashed that Ballon it’s sickening. So I was right, prior behaviors are a reliable indicator of future behavior.

2013 prius, 02 silverado, 15 freightline, 16 international, 15 dodge dart, the list goes on. These vehicles have weak ac.

Is it because of 134? Partly, but it’s also because of the system design. These new systems are lean in the freon.

I don’t care if a vehicle needs a system with 7lbs of freon, put it in and I will pay it. This is America and my grandfather didn’t almost die so I could conserve freon.

I’m in Indiana and I wash my car with a lot of water, we have plenty of water here so don’t try to shame me into using less water because you live in the desert. We freeze in the winter here, but water is plentiful. I water my lawn, I take long showers, I wash the car with 100 gallons of water. I don’t care, we suffer all winter and I will use water.

And my house is 74 in the winter and 68 in summer, sometimes 67. I even have a heater in my garage for winter. I consume electricity made with coal.

And I burn gas in my damn car. I tried the prius, but now I’m back to suckling down fuel like it’s going out of style. We have been lied to with so much fake news it’s not funny.

So smoke, take long showers, and wash that car and park it in an air conditioned garage.

God bless America!

Some of us might wish you smoked, too…

(joke!)

Seriously (if that’s possible in the Rick zone), what does your a/c temp have to do with R134? Sure R12 worked, and so does R134. GM a/c was famous for working great in the '60s - '70s. Many modern systems work great, too.

R134 molecules are smaller than R12 so sealing required improving and the orifice had to be downsized. Also R134 tends to go ballistic if the condensor temperature isn’t kept significantly lower than required with R12. But as others have noted current systems have taken all that into consideration and their performance is equal to if not superior to old R12 systems. I have retrofitted quite a few old vehicles to R134 and the customers were pleased.

But could the R12 issue be phony? It has always sounded fishy to me.

So, your grandfather is still alive?

Definition number two of the word ’ insanity ’ – Arguing with Rick.

4 Likes

OK… Your convoluted roundabout winning/losing wars and POW Grandfather is very confusing concerning the R-12 manufacturing ban but I’m guessing your actual point is government over-reach. EPA like all government agencies engage in exaggeration/lies to get more funding which equals more growth and power. I knew 1 WW2 POW and 1 Korean War POW both now deceased and know 2 Viet Nam POWS. They went through hell and were permanently damaged. I also had the pleasure of meeting Tuskegee Airman Lt. Colonel (retired) Alex Jefferson who was a WW2 POW. A very sad thing was when he said the Germans treated him much better than he was treated in Alabama. I completed downed behind enemy lines air crew training. Survive, Evade, Resist, Escape (SERE). I can’t imagine being a POW for years.