Bought used Ford Explorer from large mfgr. dealer - listed wrong options on window sticker

I am with @texases on this one. I would take the free oil changes and call it a day. I do have a bias as I prefer a,V6 to a 4 even if it is turbocharged and I could certainly live without the automatic park feature.

@MY2CENTS I’m not sure this board is just a bunch of car guys. There are a number of engineers, folks from dealerships, at least one lawyer, etc. Of course they have different world views and experiences that might make the advice different.

At any rate, the OP does not have any window sticker and for sure he is not going to have the original new car sticker on a used car. The VIN would not be a part of any window sticker unless the listing of options was just a boiler plate and noted in the fine print. Either that or one of the staff pasted the wrong sticker on the car. Either way it was not the factory sticker with the VIN, options list, etc. So really he has nothing except the documents he signed with the correct information.

They didn’t list the wrong options on the window sticker…it’s the wrong window sticker !
A dealer that size gives a stack of dealer printed window stickers to their lot lizzard and tells them to go label the ten vehicles they just prepped for the lot.
THAT person put a wrong sticker on a wrong window…AND this means another car is also mislabeled. ( yes, they should have cross checked the vins…and this might get 'em fired…but …that’s how it came to pass.)
Is there a monetary difference that bothers you ?
Do you not like the one you ended up with ?
SIMPLY…
Get thee back to the dealer and let them handle it.
They will.

@Bing incorrect…reread the original post. The OP states there was a used car window sticker…never said the new car sticker. The last time I was at my local Ford dealer (waiting for a recall to be completed on my car) I cruised the used car lot and every used car I looked at had a sticker in the window complete with VIN and standard equipment and options listed. Maybe all dealers don’t have a sticker on their used cars but some do. I believe the OP when he said there was a sticker.

let's keep this simple. OP does have proof to the contrary if the window sticker has the VIN listed. The OP has a window sticker listing a 2.0L engine and an automatic parking feature. The vehicle has a V6 and does not have the parking option. Match the VIN on the window sticker to the VIN on the vehicle and the vehicle as represented on the sticker doesn't match the actual vehicle. In my mind that's proof of a misrepresentation.

Not that simple. The OP has to PROVE that the window sticker was on the car he bought. All the dealer has to say is…that’s NOT the sticker. Get’s a lot more complicated from there.

@MikeInNH we can guess all we went as to what really happened. But, you’re probably correct the OP just printed out a window sticker off the internet, complained to the dealer and AG and posted here to give everyone a hard time…sheesh…

I don’t see anything here that says the OP even HAS the window sticker. He’s only giving us his description of what he thinks was ON the window sticker. That makes the debate about which document takes precedence moot.

I’m still puzzled as to how the OP could possibly have checked the vehicle out and not have known what was or was not on it regardless of what the window sticker did or did not say. I still suspect that there’s more misunderstanding on the part of the OP as to what was on the vehicle, and perhaps some erroneous assumptions too.

For the record, I’ve never had to sign a huge real-estate-sized pile of papers to buy a car… even a new car. Most of the documents are for the loan rather than the transfer of the car. And there ain’t that many. The loan docs are full of odious details, but they don’t define the cars options.

But, you're probably correct the OP just printed out a window sticker off the internet

The OP may right in what he’s saying…the problem is PROVING it. The burden of proof is on him.

Yes I think in the second post he says “I do have” and I read “I don’t have” the window sticker. The information on the sticker is still unclear whether it was generic or the wrong sticker. I don’t think small claims is going to do anything though and wanting the money back will be beyond the small claim limits. I’m not sure why a 4 cyl would be more costly than a V6 though.

You’re right Bing. I overlooked that. Mea Culpa and apologies to the OP.

@Bing

“I’m not sure why a 4 cyl would be more costly than a V6 though.”

Newer technology
SUPPOSEDLY more economical

Believe it or not, the V6 is the base engine and the turbo 4 is considered a step abov

I agree with all of you . . . I’d rather have a tried and true naturally aspirated V6, versus a turbo 4, which apparently doesn’t even get the fuel economy it’s supposed to

Many car magazines have proven that Ford’s turbo 4 engines get significantly less mpg in real life, versus what Ford claims

Given a choice between naturally aspirated and turbo (or super) charged, I’ll take natural aspiration every time. But I may not be given the choice much longer. Everyone’s going to boosting to get drivable power out of smaller engines. Blah! :neutral:

I’ve never heard of this happening before. But if you think about it, it must happen from time to time. I’d guess that most dealerships – wanting to keep on the good side of their customers for future sales purposes – would realize they had made a paperwork mistake and would offer some assistance to make it a square deal. But this one says “no”?

hmm …well, I’m not sure what your recourse is, but I did learn something here. When purchasing a car, make sure the content of the sticker is also included in the wording of the contract.

Better yet, check to be sure the vehicle actually physically HAS the listed options.

That’s one point that keeps bugging me about this thread. How could the OP not have known??

OP signed something he* didn’t read. OP failed to exercise due diligence and wound up with the wrong car as a direct and proximate consequence. To be honest, were I in OP’s shoes, I’d lack the chutzpah to complain; I’d meekly walk away and chalk it up to “a lesson learned the hard way.”

*(3rd person masculine implies 3rd person feminine)

The used car information labels where I work have a notice at the bottom;

“This dealer, installers and data providers are not responsible for errors or omissions. The buyer should verify that all desired equipment is present at the time of purchase.”

A sales manager would view this is just another buyer attempting to unwind the deal two weeks after purchase. People in the car business would have a hard time believing you didn’t notice the vehicle wasn’t turbo charged when driving it but if you never drove a turbo car before you may not know the difference.

It is correct that not all here are just car guys. As part of passing the CPA exam, we had to pass a major section on Business Law. And, I also had criminal justice courses as options in college. Then, for 10 years, I did volunteer legal research for an organization. That does not make me into an attorney, but I can speak with some knowledge on business law issues, as long as you know that states do have slightly different implementations of the Uniform Business Code.

Nevada_545: Yes. A standard used vehicle disclaimer usually including “As is. Where is. Warranty nether expressed nor implied”. I don’t believe someone would purchase a used vehicle without looking at the engine compartment or checking if all options (such as the parking assist) were functional.

@sgtrock21

“I don’t believe someone would purchase a used vehicle without looking at the engine compartment or checking if all options (such as the parking assist) were functional.”

I’ve known several people who buy used vehicles in just that manner

They are NOT mentally challenged. Quite the opposite. All of them are MUCH more highly educated than I am, get paid considerably more than me, but are simply not “car guys” like we are

They just don’t have the car smarts to check all that stuff you mentioned. Even if they popped the hood, they probably couldn’t tell the difference between a turbocharged 4 and a V6

And I’ll bet the other regulars all know plenty of other people who fit that description

@db4690 - I know people like that…they may look at the engine compartment…but they have no idea what they’re looking at. The OP sounds like one of those people…he may have looked under the hood but had no idea how to tell the difference between a 4-cylinder and a V6. I can’t tell you how many times someone referred to a 4-cylinder as a V4. Only V4 I ever saw was made by Ford. Or people who owned a Inline 6 and referred to it as a V6. They hadn’t a clue.