Bolstering optimism

Oh, Moravian?

Iā€™m optimistic. Just sharpened the blades on the chain saws and cleaned the plugs. Soon as it warms a little, Iā€™ll be cutting trees. Looks like NJ though is going on lock down with $1000 fine if youā€™re caught meeting with people. Blue skies.

Our governor here in Florida has just made it ā€œillegalā€ (violators will be required to self-quarantine for 2 weeks) for anybody from New Jersey to enter Florida, nothing personal of course, just complying with the lock down there.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

No, not Moravian. Pretty campus, though.

I wasnā€™t going to Florida this year anyway.

2 Likes

I also wasnā€™t planning on visiting there

:smirk_cat:

1 Like

Thatā€™ll work! Whatever floats your boat.
Iā€™m enjoying the very light traffic and the unpopulated beaches, too.
With the obvious down side of that virus comes some great benefits for locals.

Iā€™m optimistic because some weather models indicate we could finally get some rain here Monday into Tuesday. It hasnā€™t rained for 2 months, just sun and mid eighties. The golf course ponds need a refill.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

When I do go to Florida itā€™s usually Broward or Palm Beach county.

Golf courses are closed here

Our golf pro who runs the course and the pro shop was freaking out about the virus infecting his profits, so he is doing everything to stay up and running.

All leagues have been cancelled for the duration of this season. 2 people at a time in the pro shop, standing 6 feet from the registration desk. No provided drinking water on the course, itā€™s BYO. Cups on greens are upside-down so ball sits right at the top, all flag sticks are to remain ā€œinā€, all rakes are gone from bunkersā€¦

Actually, doctors recommend that people get fresh air and exercise and vitamin D (sunshine) during this epidemic. I personally am not having a problem with what theyā€™re doing and everybody is enjoying it and doing what they can to comply.

I am playing this morning. :golf:
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses::palm_tree:

Lucky you, Golf course on the do not open list. We might just go walk it for fun. Decided to not spend the cash for a new car, and have my gm mechanic who works at home take a look at it. Could be a grand or so but cheaper than new. Making it a town car. Thinking I can wait for new and save the cash if needed.

Well I have to say, two weeks was one thing, but restaurants and everything else closed until May 1, along with shelter in place, seem highly unnecessary. Our gov has gone nuts. We have 300 confirmed cases, half in two metro counties and 26 in the hospital. This requires totalitarian measures for the whole state without a small business surviving? We donā€™t have 26 hospital beds? Might be heading for a mass revolt but then Minnesotans are too nice for that. The University computer model said we could have up to 74,000 deaths. Weā€™ve had one so we have a ways to go to get to 74,000. So much for experts and computer modeling.

A Harvard model shows half a million cases minimum for the St. Louis region, an area with a population of 3.8 million. If 20% of those cases are severe thatā€™s still twice as many cases as we have hospital beds. Iā€™ll take some inconvenience for a while if thatā€™s the alternative.

2 Likes

The hysteria is worse than the virus. Itā€™s tearing up our country. Iā€™m with Bing when he commented that heā€™d like to be diagnosed with it and get it over with. Bring it!

Some clowns here tried to close our community pool, citing some baloney from a lawyer. The health department here gave some recommendations for keeping it open and confirmed that there was no reason to close it down. Our community board held its ground and the pools are open. People here are arguing over this and everything else. Itā€™s getting crazy!

Our local Anna Maria Island Sun newspaper has an article titled Public Beaches ā€˜Closedā€™ But Still Accessible. The guys at the golf course this morning were reading it and laughing hysterically. How can they be closed, but accessible?

Because of common sense, thatā€™s why! Local government closed the beach parking lots and authorities will advise groups to bust up, but locals, usually in pairs, are allowed their daily walks on the beautiful beaches. That just makes sense and I appreciate walking the beach. I have access to private parking there.

So, we have signs at the pool and golf course discussing social distancing, etcetera, and people are complying. This is much better than closing everything and having people develop cabin fever and missing out on much needed exercise, sunshine, fresh air, and fun!

I have never been a good communist, never wanted to live in a ā€œpolice stateā€ and my freedom is essential to my well-being. Letā€™s all relax and use common sense.

By the way, I have an early morning tee time, my wife has aqua aerobics, and then we are going to walk the beach, thanks to leaders with common sense. That makes me extremely optimistic!
CSA

Or ignorant. You have 10% that need hospitalization. Look at NY, not that long ago they had 1000 cases. The power of doubling. How many ISOLATED hospital beds does your area have? I hope itā€™s less than 10% of the infections in your area in two weeks from now. One or two days before they max out, they will be only 50% capacity. Think about that for awhileā€¦

3 Likes

Did you miss the part where pretty much everybody said we in the US arenā€™t going to peak for several more weeks . . .

Better safe than sorry . . . or dead . . . as far as Iā€™m concerned

3 Likes

Did you miss the part about these being worst case computer projections? Iā€™d put several thou that the U of M projections are wrong and that Minnesota will not have 74,000 people dead. You have to remember, what were the vectors in New York, California, and Washington? Are these still viable? Is the spread worse than any before like H1N1? On what basis is that made? Answer, too early to tell till itā€™s all over. What evidence is there to suggest doubling each day for the 41 day pond exercise? They are not doubling each day and certainly not in the 3000 counties in the country. What evidence is there for the Nevada Gov to outlaw the only cheap treatment that has been effective so far? None, itā€™s political. So lock down the ten counties in the country like New York and LA that are showing significant increases. Restrict movements from the high incidence countries. That makes sense. Scaring all the kids does not. This is how adults handle adversity? Like scared rabbits? Earth to space . . .

Donā€™t forget that my position on JIT inventory and globalization of essential products has now proven correct. We should not have trimmed hospital drug supplies from 2-3 months to several weeks, and we should not have allowed out-sourcing of pharmaceuticals, protective equipment, military hardware, and other essentials. In Minnesota we realize how quickly a blizzard can disrupt supply chains and so can a pandemic and an enemy controlling deliveries.

1 Like

You do what you want

Good luck

Donā€™t you dare infect me

1 Like

No offense but I donā€™t intend to be in the same state so donā€™t worry. Iā€™m more worried about the two people in our county who are resting comfortably at home eating chocolate chip cookies donated until their 14 days expires. Hair on fire.

1 Like

St. Louis has 129 confirmed cases and one death. Got a ways to go to get to 500,000, Iā€™d say. And what will you do if it gets to 1000 cases in less than a week? Effective limiting actions. That is what is not included in the Harvard simulations. People donā€™t just sit around and do nothing while the fires rage. But effective actions. And I was watching this with interest since early January and no one seemed concerned at all. In fact some of us were concerned about stockpiled protective gear and ventilators years ago based on H1N1 but most were not. So donā€™t tell me about your Harvard projections.

1 Like