CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

Bleach bllunder

My old car uses oil. I was going to give it a quart when my cat distracted me and I picked up the bottle without looking. It was bleach! I splashed about 1/4/ cup in before I noticed it was not oil. Is it alright to drive my car?

I would drain it and refill it. No damage done till you start it.

Thank-you very much. I’ll do that. I was about to drive it -I’ll wait. Bleach blunder

Bleach is VERY corrosive!! It will dissolve the paper oil filter element if it gets in there. DO NOT START THE ENGINE!!! I would drain the oil, then pour in a quart of water to chase the bleach out of the oil pan, refill with oil, drive for 1 hour and change the oil and filter again!