Bike Rack For Car

Thanks Barkydog. Good info to know! I knew I could count on all you regulars.

Look for other Camrys with a hitch and see if you think it is too low. When you find them, ask the owner if he has any problem with the hitch scraping the pavement. It may turn out to be just fine.

I have seen plenty of deck lids damaged from bike racks. Two large dents that cannot repair will make an expensive fix.

All good info and suggestions. Thank you!

Marnet-just for fun do a search for Rhoads car and you won’t need a bike rack.

Ha! Those could be fun for those no longer able to safely navigate a two-wheeler. You do realize just how much the larger multi-person models resemble the earliest autos? The Wright brothers would be proud.

I have installed 2 square insert trailer hitches on late model cars to enable attaching bike carriers and the total cost for the hitch and carrier was less than $200 on each vehicle and the hitch type carriers had a pin that enabled the rack, when unloaded, to tilt back for access to the tailgate and removing the rack required moving only 1 bolt. Both hitches were ordered from Amazon and the bike carriers were from a local sprorting goods store. I would suggest using a bungy cord mounted so that the bikes don’t bounce when the road is rough. My pickup is very handy to haul my bike to the trail but at 17 mpg I wouldn’t mind tying the bike on a rack if I could get 30 mpg for my effort.

Ah, thank you Rod Knox. That sounds very convenient. The rack carrier sounds easy to remove for everyday ease of use of the car then simple to drop back on and anchor when I want to take the bike somewhere. I look that up to add to my research.

I’ve had two or three Draw Tite hitches installed by an outfit in Burnsville, MN. That’s pretty much all they do so guess I’d just google Draw Tite or Reese to see who is in the area. I think my last one was about $300 though so not cheap. You do want one that is custom for your car though and not a universal one.

A class I hitch which is the lightest weight is good for 100# tongue weight so 40# is no problem at all.

Thank you.

Marnet
…still reading, still learning…thanks to the good help of generous folks!

Are you near an REI? They list lots of bike racks on their web site.

Yes, there is an REI within reasonable distance. Locally is a company called The Alpine Shop which has a large cycle shop. And there are multiple cycle shops including a Schwinn shop which happens to be the closest. I will peruse the REI website. Thank you for the suggestion. Cycling is big in St. Louis with a major network of rails to trails cycling/walking trails. I just have to connect with local resources and groups like Mountainbike suggested. But for putting a bike carrier on the car I started asking here first because I am familiar with this group and from long experience trust the car advice I get including regarding car accessories such as hitches.

I’ve been using this bike rack w/ my Corolla for 30 years, several times a week, nary a single problem for either the bike or the car or the rack. Once you get the hang of it, very easy to put the rack on the car, and equally easy to remove. Easy to store the rack away in the garage until the next bike ride too, the rack takes very little space folded up. I used it yesterday in fact to carry my bike to the trail-head for a short urban mt bike ride. My bike weighs in around 27 pounds. I can’t speak to how well it would work w/a heavier bike.

http://hollywoodracks.com/trunk-racks/trunk-rack-images/F1B-01-Lg.jpg

Ah, similar to but much lighter weight, more minimalist than the heavy big non-folding trunk mounting rack I have. Both it and the Giant ten speed were gifts that have proven uncomfortable to use. I will likely sell them and use the money toward more user friendly equipment. I’ll add your rack to the list of suggested possibilities. Thank you.

@Marnet, you might consider a used rack if the more expensive models, like the Draw Tite, appeal to you. You will want to see it before you buy, of course.

@jtsanders. Thank you. Another good suggestion to keep in mind.

Nashbar has a variety of racks for affordable prices. And I’ve always been happy with the products they sell and with their customer service. I’ve bought countless items from them.
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCategory_10053_10052_204671_-1_204646_204646

Thank you Mountainbike.

I took my bike rack out again today for another ride. It’s sort of amazing since I live in a very urban area, with probably two million people within a short drive from the place I rode, but there wasn’t a single person on the trails besides me. Maybe b/c it was a little on the hot side today.

Anyway, when I put the bike back on the rack after the ride, I remembered your post and thought of something for you to consider when selecting a rack style. It’s important to keep the chain and derailleur wheels clean, especially on mt bikes, b/c they get very dusty when riding on dirt trails. Towards that end, after I’m done w/a ride I always place the bike up on the rack at the rear of the car, but at the ends of the bar. That way I have enough clearance between the bike and the car to turn the chain in a circle by rotating the peddles with my hand. That makes it easy to clean the chain, just hold a clean rag loosely around the chain, while peddling with the other hand.

Thank you George! Good suggestion I will remember.

Going to start riding a few blocks around the neighborhood in the next few days. Next step after that, when ready, will be a couple of area paved trails. I am years older, out of shape, and heavier than when last bike riding so I plan to be sensible and safe about this. And if I find I need to stick to walking then so be it.

I will also dust off the trunk mount rack I have and cautiously see if it will fit the Camry. Given the sheet metal of the trunk is much thinner than was that of the '87 Olds the rack used to go on, I shall keep in mind the warning about how hanging a heavy bike can end up with nasty dents in the trunk. I am not going to risk an expensive car over this idea to dust off the bike of my youth.