Big guy, little car

I’m going to need help; a lot of help.
I’m on a mission I fly out to California Friday afternoon and I’m going to drive back with my sister in her car.
She drives a 2008 Toyota Corolla it’s going to be packed full of clothes and bags and stuff.
I’m a 6’6" 380 lb construction worker and she’s a 5’5" let’s call it a welterweight.
I’m looking for the community to give me advice to make this ride more comfortable to point out any difficulties I may face and any sites I need to see on the way back to Texas.

1 Like

People just gas up vehicles and take off for far a way points all the time so this is not a big deal . Just keep an eye on oil level , proper tire pressure providing the tire are in good shape and stop and get out of the vehicle so you don’t get to tired .

As for what to see just stop at the state entry stations on major highways for maps and sigh seeing tips. Of course you could always use Google.

1 Like

I used to be 6’ 3" with long legs. I am down to 6’ and 230 but the legs have not shrunk. I cannot get comfortable in my daughters 2010 Corolla. I am barely ok in my 2012 Camry. I would be fine if the seat would let me put it all the way back and all the way up but it won’t. The dealer says putting in a power seat won’t help, the track still drops the seat as you go back.

1 Like

People of average height often place coolers, boxes and other items behind the drivers seat restricting the travel of the seat. This may seem to be too obvious but you may want to advise your sister to move the seat all the way back before loading the car.

1 Like

Take frequent breaks and stretch.

2 Likes

With the car being fully loaded like that, be sure the tires are properly inflated, especially for the cooler sections of your drive.

3 Likes

I’m 6’+ and about 220 lbs. and I own a 2009 Corolla. It’s more comfortable with more room than you might expect. I would expect a 2008 to be at least similar. As long as you can move the seat back and recline it a bit I don’t think you’ll have a serious problem. Unfortunately, since you won’t be passing through Missouri I can’t suggest any attractions along the way.

1 Like

What route are you taking? May be able to come up with a few suggestions for nterstng things to see.

1 Like

I am 5’ 11" and about 140 LBS. I have a 2004 Corolla, which I owned since it was new. (The 2003-2008 models are essentially the same car.)

The seats are comfortable for me, and also for my wife, who weighs about 175 LBS, but that does not necessarily translate into good comfort for someone who is pushing 250 or 350 LBS. I had always assumed car seats were designed for the average dimensions of approximately 5’ 6" to 6 ft. tall and approximately 200 LBS in weight.

1 Like

You can’t make the driver’s weight much more than it is, but for safe handling put the heaviest things right behind her seat, and lightweight bulky things behind the rear axle.

2 Likes

I had always assumed car seats were designed for the average dimensions of approximately 5’ 6" to 6 ft. tall and approximately 200 LBS in weight.

I used to think that way also I am 6’ 2’’’ and weigh 160# but I have been in a few car’s that were very uncomfortable for me mostly it seemed the seat had very little padding was too low to the floor did not go back far enough and the seat back set up too straight with no lumbar support mostly. every thing I have owned had a bench seat that seem’s very comfortable to me. Also if a car set’s too low to the ground it is too hard to get into or out of.

I 40 for most of it

I enjoyed Petrified forest National Park!

3 Likes

"Barkydog,
I enjoyed Petrified forest National Park!

Also Winslow Az. { standing on the corner } and not to far out of the way the Painted dessert and the four corner’s.

2 Likes

Don’t forget Meteor Crater.

3 Likes

All I’m saying to the OP is, “Keep an open mind and try it.” Sorry that simple idea is so controversial. If it doesn’t work out he can rent something to his liking and follow dear sister.

1 Like

I shoulda thought of that

In 1984 I drove out to California from Connecticut with my best friend. I had a 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass. It’s larger than a midsize car but not as big as a Cadillac. I took the back seats out and put them on top of the car along with a Cargo Carrier on top of the car that gave us plenty of room in the car for everything.

If I’m reading Google maps correctly, I-40 follows the exact route of Route 66, known for TV show, songs, and one of the earliest cross-country highways. If memory serves, this is the route I took with a friend when we left tech school in Wichita Falls, TX. for our respective duty stations (me in Victorville, he in San Bernardino). Along the way we took in the Great Meteor Crater, as mentioned below and also the Grand Canyon Caverns.

40 parallels 66, and sometimes is in the same place as 66 was, but there are other places where they diverge. That’s where you’ll find little towns that died out after 40 went in.

1 Like