Best cars for handicapped?

I have recently had one knee replaced and am facing the other one being done within the year. I also have low back issues. Currently, I am driving a Camry but they are pretty low to the ground. I am considering an SUV but the mileage is not good. What cars are easiest to get in and out of?

The PT Cruiser is popular for people with mobility issues. My mother has had a hip and two knees replaced, and she is comfortable in a Toyota Sienna minivan.

You are probably going to have to decide which is more important, comfort or fuel economy.

There used to be a lot of car-based SUVs available, like the Honda CRV and Toyota Rav4, but they have all been redesigned and now they are crossover SUVs. (Crossover SUVs are minivans for people who think they are too cool to own a minivan.)

Whatever you buy, make sure you take it for an extended test drive to make sure it is comfortable for long trips.

I know two people with arthritis or back issues. Both bought Honda CR-Vs are are very happy with them. They just slide in and out of the seats. I imagine any small SUV would be the same.

I agree. The compact SUV lines are the all round choice for your requirements. But, elevated chassis has the disadvantage of poor aerodynamics with comparable worse mileage than your lower slung sedans. It’s tough “not” to consider the RAVs and CRVs as good choices. Our RAV is far and away, one of the easiest to get in and out of any car we’ve owned.

A big sedan like the Chevy Impala, Toyota Avalon, or Ford Taurus is higher than the Camry. Other options are small SUVs like the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CRV, minivans, or MPV’s like the Mazda 5.

I’m happy with my CX-7, and their lower end models have the 2.5L I4 that claims 28mpg highway. Though you could always opt for the Ford Escape hybrid for some better MPGs

A big sedan like the Chevy Impala, Toyota Avalon, or Ford Taurus is higher than the Camry

Not hardly…There is very very little difference in seat height in any of those vehicles…I’d say less then 3"…

AND…the Avalon is nothing but a up-graded Camry…so how could it’s seat be higher.