Before you rush out to buy that Ferrari

…you might want to read this. :wink:

:rage:

I guess I’ll cancel my order…

1 Like

Maybe, maybe not. Remember that the Daily Mail (original source) is a Brit tabloid. While not all sources are questionable, this one might be. If another source comes up that doesn’t reference the Daily Mail, it becomes more believable. I’m not screaming Pants on Fire, but I am not fully ready to buy the story yet.

and here I was rolling back the odometer the old fashioned way…

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/04/24/15/27F28F0A00000578-3054027-image-a-52_1429884718726.jpg

4 Likes

I don’t understand WHY the guy would agree to get his old job back, realistically knowing the dealership would retaliate against him. They might claim they’re not, but I’m sure they are

Maybe he really needs the money . . . I could imagine his cut on the sale of such a car might be nice. Can’t imagine he sells more than a handful of cars per month. Maybe only a handful of cars each year

Assuming his story is true, I wouldn’t want to work with such a bunch of dishonest people

And I’m NOT assuming it’s true at this time. But I’m also not calling him a liar, not just yet

If the story is true, then Ferrari corporate must be stupid. Then again, it’s possible the rollback stopped in 2015, and that was before VW got caught redhanded. That probably caused all manufacturers to be more careful with their shenanigans. Now they have to figure out how to be better cheaters, and decrease their chances of being caught

3 Likes

What I don’t understand…

Why they would hire him back.

Why he would even return…

Since Ferrari is a stickler for service records I don’t understand how they would match the 0 miles reading with the mileages for various services and repairs. It seems to me they would have to nullify all service records also.

1 Like

Remind me of the time my gf & I were on a Sunday afternoon walk-a-bout and decided to take a look at the Ferrari models sitting there inside a dealership showroom. The staff guy took one look at us as we walked in, noticed we weren’t dressed the part of a Ferrari buyer, were just passing the time of day, so instead of asking us which model we were interested in, he went over to one of the cars and started it up and rev’d the engine to its loudest, to drive us out of the place … lol … it worked, I now know for a fact Ferraris are very loud.

Yeah, sounds odd. Used Ferraris are only worth what their maintenance records show. I don’t see how they’d get everything to match up.

1 Like

My former service director would have fired that “staff guy” IMMEDIATELY

ANYBODY walking the lot at a dealership is a potential customer. There are some wealthy individuals looking to thrown down some cash, who are dressed like the rest of us mere mortals

That stupid “staff guy” might have figured every Ferrari buyer had slicked back hair and gold chains, with the top 4 buttons of the shirt unbuttoned

2 Likes

It’s pretty common thing here in Silicon Valley to walk into an establishment catering to the CEO-types, to just be ignored. These business owners can smell money I think, hear a $20 bill fall atop a shag carpet, no problem. For the most part we commoners don’t complain about it, as we’re usually not treated like described above, still allowed in the door to see what’s inside, just ignored is all. The Bentley dealership folks the same day let us in ok, didn’t drive us out. I didn’t really appreciate the loud noise at the Ferrari place, but the staff guy was right, we weren’t buying, and leaving didn’t take much effort, and so in the end everyone was happy. The expensive car dealership that’s the most friendly to us commoners seems to be the BMW dealership. They seem very happy to see us walk in and poke around, never a complaint from them.

Gee, I thought if it was on the internet, it had to be true!!

I visited a local Harley dealer and I had to check a mirror to make sure I wasn’t invisible.
It’s amazing how differently you are treated when you dress up at a lot of places.

With no miles, how could there be service records?

Anyway, if they get enough extra money for rolling back the mileage, fake service records would be easily affordable. This is especially true if a dealership does it. They can use their own stationary.

1 Like

Well, it has no miles now, but does all paperwork (title, registration, etc) show 0 miles? True, much less of an issue with a near-zero mile car like this.

How can any car have 0 miles? That means it would have to be picked up from the end of the assembly line and not set down before the dealers show room.The least miles I have ever seen was on the new car my wife bought in 2000 with 7.4 showing.

I think zero miles means for most people that their new vehicle was not used as a demonstrator and just had transportation and test drive mileage.

1 Like

I remember Molloy, the DRESS FOR SUCCESS guy, I think it was, told of an affluent woman who was preparing for an important dinner. She needed something so in her casual clothes ran off to an expensive shop, which was the sort of place she frequented. the staff treated her like crap if at all. So, the next day she dolled all up, went in to buy a small purchase and paid with a hundred dollar bill. Those smart alecks had to really hustle to get change for her.

3 Likes

Those kind of places deserve to go under, IMO

2 Likes

A car can’t have 0 miles on it unless it was handled as Renegade mentioned. Every new car I’ve seen usually has 3 to 6 miles on it just from the sheer act of moving them around.

I have to wonder how much of this story is true. It’s difficult for me to believe that Ferrari would sanction odometer and service record altering. There are too many people in the chain that would have to keep quiet and at some point it’s all going to show up and bite many people when it does.

2 Likes

I agree, but–then again–as recently as the 1950s, it was SOP for Cadillac dealers to roll-back the odometers on Caddys that were traded in to…zero.

GM even had an advertising campaign to support that practice: A gently-used Cadillac is as good or better than a new car of any other make. The advent of consumer protection statutes finally led to the elimination of this deceptive practice by Caddy dealers.