Battery trouble again, really need advice

It’s entirely possible the hood cable could be frayed and causing the hood to be difficult to open.

I’m just saying that in the past with my Fords and Lincolns that shuffling the latch mechanism around on the mounting bolts caused opening the hood to go from a healthy grunt to a light 2 fingered pull.

Body flex and years of slamming the hood down will often cause that latch to move a bit. It kind of looks like this and note the mounting holes are square. Just food for thought is all.

Unless you spend 4 days in the store it is unlikely that your car battery would be in the same poor state of charge as it is after sitting for days at home. The condition of your battery is something that you can control, don’t rely on divine intervention.

2 Likes

Listen to TESTER!!! Get the alternator checked for free, nobody gets that many bad battery’s in a row, and driving around the block means nothing. Try 400 times around the block.
Better yet…Listen to tester, get the system CHECKED FOR FREE! IT REQUIRES NO WORK OR COST ON YOUR PART, AND YOU WILL GET A SOLID ANSWER!.

2 Likes

The alternator has already been checked FOR FREE!

I have had plenty of customers bring false test results from Autozone, I wouldn’t recommend looking for trouble when battery maintenance is the problem.

1 Like

Do you mean letting someone check the alternator because they could say yes that’s it when it’s just battery maintenance, because i was worried about the same thing?

I think is was in 2017 our battery died and we got a new alternator because they said that was the problem, if i remember right the battery died again and we went back to the shop and they said it was a bad alternator and put another one in. Things were ok after that. Then in 2018 we got a new starter not because of a battery problem but because it was giving us trouble starting up. There is only one other thing i can think of last year when we went for a oil change the shop said our alternator belt aka serpentine belt needed to be replaced about 3 months later we started having battery problems. I know the bottom line is we have to go to a trust worthy shop and have it checked out but in a pandemic it’s just not that easy to do but i was thinking we will bring a folding chair and sit outside and ask for the mechanic to wear a mask when he drives our car.

What are your driving habits? How long between a long drive and parking, and then how long is it parked for? If you are not driving it enough, it just may need a CURRENT LIMITED battery maintainer, to keep it at a float voltage of between 13.xxV dc and 14.xxVdc. ( Yeah I know it cxalled a 12 volt battery, but if you were to go to a car battery on a car that was sitting around parked for a day and measured the voltage, a battery that read 12.0Vdc would be dead.) But answer the driving habits question, that may be the key.
I just read the thing about the belt. Does it ever sqeal when driving? Do you know what the belt tensioner looks like? Doesn’t matter too much, grab the belt in between pulley’s, and pull a couple times. Does the belt feel loose? if not, you still may need a belt, but that is probably not the electrical issue. If so, there may not be enough friction to keep the alternator spinning. Is the belt belt frayed or cracked? Still seems to me that if it were the belt, you would hear squealing, and or your power steering would give you troubles, and if you have A/C, it would not work right either. How about a picture of the belt? A well lit one. Close up. I still doubt belt. Unless you hear squealing or its loose, or both.

1 Like

It is quite possible to have a serpentine belt (even a new belt) that is both tight and noise free yet will still slip on the pulleys. Worn tensioner, worn pulley on the alternator, etc.

My mom’s car only has 33 thousand miles and it’s a 1993 so we never really drove a lot to begin with, but before the pandemic i guess we would go to the store 3 times a week, then the pandemic hit so we were just going once a week, but after all the battery problems we started taking the car out twice a week, now we are going out every other day. I hope what happened was the very first battery died because we weren’t going out enough but after that maybe it was because the connection on the battery was loose, the last AAA man said it was loose and he would tighten it. i did buy a voltage meter that you plug into the lighter so that should tell me if it starts getting low again. I’ll try to get a picture of the belt.

The voltage meter will tell you if the alternator is charging the battery while you are driving. I think it will also give you a static reading of the voltage of the battery while the car isn’t running. I have one in each car but only use them once in a while for a check.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know, i didn’t know i could check the alternator to, what should the meter read when we are driving and when it’s not running?

Not that this really matters but a few people said “he” I’m a “she” lol

If it was me sorry but I think the only time I used “he” was in reference to the almighty. Could have used “them” though considering the Triune God. We just don’t know sometimes and make assumptions.

1 Like

If the belt is tight, the tensioner is working, by definition.

1 Like

DriveTime,
The voltmeter can tell you the alternator is working, if when you are driving, it is in the 14 Volt range, and IF the cigarette lighter is still connected when the car is off, (Mine isn’t) , it reads about 12.9 Volts right after you shut off the car. A good battery should read about 12.9 Volts if it’s in good condition. Most people think if the battery reads 12 volts, it’s good. Not true. (Assuming the meter is accurate) A 12.0 Volt reading would mean the battery is dead. Just a few tenths of a volt is the difference between a good and a bad battery, because when you try to start the car, the load of the starter will drag down the voltage significantly. By the way, despite the name, I am a she as well. But I am a Electrical Engineer. Another quick example, if you try reading the voltage of a little radio type 9Volt battery, and it reads say 8 Volts…It’s dead as well. When you get one new, it will read about 9.8Volts. Battery’s are funny that way.

3 Likes

No need to apologize, i don’t even remember who it was i just saw “he” in one of the posts. I just didn’t want to mislead anyone into thinking i was a “he” lol

Very cool. Thanks for all the info my voltmeter is supposed to come in the mail today from Amazon.

Good, that meter will help you. I will be installing a current meter in my car as soon as my last part arrives.
Those are very usefull in keeping people from getting stuck from a problem with the electrical system. But not as easy as just plugging into a lighter.

1 Like

Awesome, i wish i knew how to do that, i also wish i could repair my mom’s car that would be very empowering . I used the meter that you plug into the lighter tonight, this is what is read

We went to the gas station to get gas around 4 pm we were only out for about 10 minutes anyway later tonight i used the voltage meter around a quarter to 6 and this is what the meter read