Battery terminal has crack on it

It definitely carries current but it’s probably not involved in the starting circuit.

1 Like

Hold a magnetic compass next to it. If the needle deflects there’s current flowing.

The short cable that goes from the battery clamp to the two main fuses carries the current.

Why do that? Two cables connect to the fuses on the part. It connects them to the negative terminal on the battery. Any current flowing through those two cables is flowing through the bracket.

If you look right of the fuses, you can see the battery hold-down bolt is loose.

Tester

Here’s what you do. Unbolt it from its mounting point and see if you still have your problem. Just please quit if’ing this to death.

I would still strongly suggest that you clean the cable ends. The old lead ends would corrode into a ball of garbage. The steel or brass ends like these have a tendency to corrode (or scale) over at the connection point which is between the end and post.

I haven’t driven my Lincoln much lately but last week went to start it and nothing Dead battery? Nope. It was scale on the mating services of the ends and battery posts. Cleaned them and things are fine. I’ve also seen this a number of time on other makes of cars.

Here is something else to do. Disconnect the battery and let it sit a couple days. Reconnect the battery and see if it starts. If the problem is still there, it is definitely the battery. The battery is not new. Sometimes they will start fine if you run the car every day but then die if they sit. This is not a new battery and you might be about ready for a new one.

3 years isn’t ancient but some of the cheaper lines from stores don’t last very long. This looks like a NAPA Legend 75 month so not a bad unit but you might want to still consider it as a potential issue, especially since it is under warranty.

not having any practical experience with one of these cars, I am not sure about anything. the new pictures provide better angles, and it sure looks like that “bracket” is part of the circuitry. I’ve not seen anything like that before, though. I would wonder if it was hooked up wrong if I hadn’t seen other pictures of other cars set up the same way.

here is what I would suggest:
–Take a multi-meter and hook the black wire to ground and clip the red cable onto the piece of metal bracket. is it 12 volts? is it 12 volts on both sides of the crack? does it drop voltage on the side of the crack father from the battery if you wiggle it?
you can then decide if it needs repaired depending on your results. (Here is a hint- it should be replaced.)

–Clean or replace those cables on the side of the fuses. the one looks nasty. if that is the alternator fuse, it won’t keep the car from starting, but it could effect battery charging while you are driving around- making it harder to start next time you go to start the car, because you drained more out of the battery last time you drove.

–Make sure all wires to and from the battery are all tight, and as @tester noticed, tighten your battery hold down so the battery is not moving around.

–Charge the battery and see if the symptoms present themselves again.

1 Like

You don’t like it here? You are free to leave, make sure you ask for a refund of your membership fees. Joined 5 hours ago and already whining, good bye and good riddance.

4 Likes

Have a nice day, @Ezarb_178727

… and he/she resurrected a long-dormant thread in order to do that whining.
:thinking:

1 Like

For some reason I do not feel like saying " Welcome Ezarb " .

3 Likes

Welcome @Ezarb_178727 to the forum.

Your suggestion that the bracket is a busbar is worthy of consideration.

However, it’s way over shadowed by your discrediting and bashing the earlier replies. There is a deep bench of highly respected talent on this forum.

If you would like your input to be treated with the same respect, please do edit your post to remove the demeaning accusations.

2 Likes

We don’t care what you so with your derrière, but please don’t talk about it here.

3 Likes

I wonder if this is another name for the snowman?

1 Like

So exactly what was the point of that?

Resurrect a post that was dormant for 2 years so that the guy can pat himself on the back and insult everybody?

Seems kind of pointless

First of all, he probably didn’t succeed in making any of us upset

Second of all, he probably isn’t even feeling any better himself, now that he’s vented his frustration

3 Likes

Just FWIW I have replaced split ring battery cable ends with the time tested lead ends by attaching whatever connections are needed to the threaded holes provided for pinching the battery cable end.

Just in case someone resurrects this problem again.