Bad clutch master cylinder?

An entirely reasonable conclusion.

So the pedal doesn’t return at all now? System needs more bleeding. Might as well replace the master first since you’ll have to do it all over again if you don’t.

Get the hydraulics sorted first, then see what it does.

The system should be good and bled. I pulled pulled just short of a quart thru it with a vacuum bleeder to flush the sediment out and what not.

After replacing and bleeding it behaved as it always did, shifting ok and stopping an inch or so short of all the way back up.

The next morning the pedal was all the way depressed. I pulled it up and, again it behaved like it always has, just short of all the way back up.

Out of curiosity, is there supposed to be a return spring on the clutch lever?

Yes. Its fine too as far as I can tell

Yes. At least on my Corolla there is. And it wasn’t attached to its mooring the first time I had a faulty clutch MC , so that’s a good thing to check. I’ve had to replace the clutch MC 3 times I think on my 27 year old Corolla, so I wouldn’t be surprised that’s the problem you’ve got. The symptom for me always started as I would notice it was hard to shift from neutral to first gear. Pumping the clutch pedal 2 or 3 times in rapid succession made the shifting possible. So if pumping the clutch pedal seems to help, good chance the clutch MC is the problem.

On my Corolla bleeding the clutch hydraulics is very simple procedure, never had to do anything other than open the bleeder at the slave and press on the clutch pedal. Rinse and repeat. The bleeder is very easy to access on the Corolla. On newer vehicles, with the slave mechanism encircling the transmission input shaft, not so much.

Oh ok. Yeah, that should have done it. Strongly suspect your master is bad.

Don’t feel like you wasted effort replacing the slave. Usually when one is bad, the other isn’t far behind it, so you’d have ended up replacing it anyway.

1 Like

So i bought a cylinder. Does it need to be bench bled? Its only got one line. I do have access to a vacuum bleeder that hooks to an air compressor so…

Usually you should bench bleed it but with the vac bleeder you can get away without it.