2003 Tacoma Clutch

Hello,

The clutch on my 2003 Toyota Tacoma has been acting funny for a while. I have to pull the pedal back up with the top of my foot about half the time, otherwise it acts like the clutch isn’t all the way disengaged when I push the pedal to the floor. The master and slave cylinders have both been replaced as well as the clutch pedal mechanism itself (thought it might be the spring). I adjusted the push rod a little bit and it seems to have helped slightly but it’s definitely still a problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

I’d replace the clutch master cylinder again. If it feels like the clutch isn’t fully disengaging the clutch master cylinder isn’t producing enough hydraulic pressure to disengage the clutch.

I know it was just replaced, but you can get a bad new clutch master cylinder.

It happened to me. I installed a new clutch master cylinder in my truck. It lasted less than a day and then the clutch pedal went to the floor. The only way to get the truck home was to shift into neutral when coming to a stop. Shut the engine off. Shift into first gear, and then start the engine in first gear. And then shift thru the gears by getting the RPM’s to where the syncros would allow shifting.

That was a hoot!

Tester

Perhaps the clutch release fork, release bearing, or pressure plate is hanging up.

Have you visually confirmed that the big spring which pulls the clutch pedal back is properly attached between the clutch pedal and its moorings and working? That spring fell off one time on my Corolla and I had to reattach it. Have you confirmed the clutch pedal free play is correct by following Toyota’s procedure?