Backing out on a car deal

ok, what that tells me is that there’s probably a buyer’s remorse law in your state and they’re trying to stall you until the time limit has expired.

Looked it up. There isn’t.

What kind of dealer is this? Is it an Audi dealer, or something else? I live in Central TX, and I’m very curious as to who this is, but I’ll settle for the type of dealer.

No, there’s no remorse law here, except for door-to-door sales.

Toyota dealership DFW area

I wrote this in another thread, but it may still apply:

Toyota, like many manufacturer’s, has an excellence program. It’s the “President’s Award” program. If you’re really getting unsatisfactory results, get the dealer number (if you can, if not, the exact address should do), and give them a call:

Phone: 800-331-4331
Fax: 310-468-7814
Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PST
Sat, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PST

The dealer should be willing to work with you on this…to some degree at least. Make the call, it’s worth a shot. They’re open for another couple hours. It’s a corporate central number, not a dealer number.

I’m in the SA area, so thankfully I won’t have to worry with them. :slight_smile: Sorry…that’s good news for me, as I get a lot of parts from the dealer, but doesn’t help you.

Thanks so much. I havent heard a word from them today, they were supposed to call me. Im dodging tornadoes right now but will call the number tomorrow.

If you offered a grand to stop the horses and they won’t budge then it sounds like the car is going to be yours, any warts that may exist and all.

The detail story could be correct so I would not read too much into any of that.

Since it appears this deal may have been done without hubby’s knowledge and approval I can only imagine what hubby is going to say when the issue of a neglected and currently due timing belt/water pump/tensioner job is brought up.

The expense of said job could be, and often is, the reason why many people decided to unload cars.

…but it has a “perfect Car Fax report”!

(sarcasm intentional)

well they told the hubby they will call today at 2 to discuss giving the money back, in the mean time I had a call from a "executive sales manager" from the dealership asking me if I would be interested in coming out and looking at a new toyota. I told him that I was midway thru a botched abortion with them now and didnt really want to add to it.

No money no car no call :) by the way when you call the main number to the dealership it says:

"ask us about our 72 hour satisfaction guarantee"

Have you looked on their web site to find out about the ‘72 hour satisfaction guarantee’? How about working with them to find a different car? (9 year old Audis aren’t the best used car). Keep in mind that it’s not all their fault on this, so if you want their help, you’ll need to ‘play nice’.

Yes I have I have offered that and I have been very nice. Hoping it will eventual pay off. I told them I would even purchase a car at a higher price as long as its something that we can all agree on. At this point I have excused myself from the table, gonna let the boys work it out :slight_smile:

You have made so many different errors, I don’t even know where to begin.

Why would you ever offer someone money to back out of a deal, or to purchase an even more expensive vehicle in order to get out of a deal?

I hate to say this, but you really need to never go alone to a dealer, ever again.
Make sure in the future you take someone with you who can stand up for themselves, and have them do all the negotiating for you.

I hate to sound harsh, but you are exactly the type of customer that shady dealerships LOVE to have walk in the door.

And you paid cash on top of everything else, and didn’t take the vehicle home with you the same day?
Are you kidding me?

BC.

Buyer’s remorse law in Texas? You’re kidding, right? The three day right of recission is for contracts signed in your home. When you go to the business, the contract is complete when you sign your name and make payment. End of story. If you’re under 18, you can’t contract but over 18, you bought a car to sell again. Some dealers allow a grace period but its not law.

Well here is how the story ended. I went back to the dealership Thursday night with my husband, to look at an Altima Coupe that was according to the dealer an 08. When we got down there they couldnt find the keys to that car but they did have another car we could look at. We insisted on looking at the car we drove down there to see. It was parked way in the back. My husband examined saw it is a nice car felt the tires they were almost new. Decided to make a deal on it. They spouted off a price out of the range we said we were willing to spend but we accepted knowing it was a good price on that particular car. So the difference came down the around 5 grand. So they wanted to finance the difference we said ok see what you can do we will talk again tomorrow. Friday afternoon they call me and have a payment for me, 198/month for 60 months. Couldnt tell me the interest right or the amount financed but said its a great deal. I had my husband call and they had added in tax, title and license (we are from oklahoma we dont pay that in texas) and an extended warranty as well as clear coat and a tire policy.

So we had a all of that removed and ended up I borrowed the money from my banker. We drove back down Saturday morning with a scheduled appointment to pick the car up. It takes about 3 hours in the mean time I hear several people in the showroom getting the same stories I did last Saturday, even men Bladecutter so I think this dealership isnt picky.

They finally pull the car around and the tires on it look like they came from NASCAR, they are slick. we decided that we would just let that slide at this point. I go over to sign paperwork. We think we are finally out of there and shake hands and leave. Get down the street to stop and eat and I notice the paper work says Altima SD not Coupe. So i investigate further and see the VIN# on the car doesnt match the VIN on the paperwork, nor does the odometer statement or the bill of sale.

I call the dealer let them know, they tell me to go on home and they would mail it to me. I didnt go for that went back to the dealership. Second time do paperwork they hand it to me to sign and the odometer statement still isnt right. All the paper work I have signed is for an Altima 08 with 34,178 miles on it. (so much for your texas laws of "if you signed the paperwork you own that car") They looked at me and said well is it an 08 or 09 that your buying, I laughed and said I dont know you guys said its an 08. They run the VIN the dang car ends up being an 09, they quickly print out the paper work I sign and get the heck outta there.

Everybody loves the car, I am in it right according to KBB, so even though I lost about 10 years off my life it did work out.

"Everybody loves the car, I am in it right according to KBB, so even though I lost about 10 years off my life it did work out."

No, no… The worry and aggravation caused you to lose 10 pounds, and that added 10 years to your life. Accentuate the positive! BTW, do you take back half the bad things you said about hubby now that he helped you out of this jam?

Never…the wife is always right. Just ask mine. She’ll tell you. :slight_smile:

I guess my free car (and the $40,000 I’ll get for it) is less to worry about than AM’s Adventure in Used-Car-Land. But I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t worry, research, fret, research some more and, once that’s all out of the way, put myself through the mill. You see, it’s my peace that takes most of the disturbing. Breathe.

AM, isn’t the saying “All’s well that end’s well?” I’m sure your Altima looks great on you.

Laurie

Sounds like this place is shadier than the rain forest.
They give you a car and the paper work doesn’t match not once, but TWICE, and they wanted you to head on home when you told them about the first mishap. Hell, they weren’t even sure what year your car was when they sold it to you.
What are the new cars this place deals in? A call to the regional offices of the car makers(i.e. Honda, Nissan USA, Chevy, etc) and reporting what you just told us will likely get the place in hot water and force them to shape up or ship out.

I’m 100% with bscar.

am0316: When I read your reply, all I could think about was "what other flaws did they hide in the sale that you’ll inevitably discover later?"

If you’re determined to keep the car, I would get it checked out by your local independent mechanic - sooner rather than later.

Perhaps someone posting under another name registered through a hotmail account not traceable to you could tell us the name of this dealership, because it sounds like they were intent on defrauding you. What is the name of the dealership?