Hi everyone! So my husband and I were looking to buy a Jeep and we went as far as signing papers with finance. We did NOT give them any money yet for the down payment or take ownership of the car but we did sign paperwork. Can we still back out of buying the car or is it too late? Any advice or help is appreciated!
Only the dealer can answer that . Most states have a 3 day cancel policy but no one here can answer that because your location is unknown. Also call the lending institution .
Generally speaking if you have not yet paid for the vehicle the contract is not enforceable.
Read your contract and look for any provisions that allow you to cancel. Failing that, you can check your state laws to see if there is any recourse. Otherwise, once you sign the contract, the dealer does not have to accept the car back and can sue for breach of contract if you refuse acceptance or payment per the terms you agreed to in writing. Most dealerships want to avoid hassles. They have the car, the title hasn’t been processed (hopefully but the longer you wait…) and they don’t have any consideration in hand yet (deposit) so they may allow you to back out. But you should be calling them immediately, if not sooner
This is just my opinion, and shouldn’t be construed as anything of an “official” or legal nature, but I doubt if they could compel you to buy something. And, IIRC, there is a 3 day right of rescission on purchases. How many days have elapsed?
Not universal. There is no federal law, all governed by state laws, if any. My state doesn’t have it but a neighboring state does.
Not in most cases.
The 3 day rule doesn’t apply to car dealerships, more for sales in a hotel conference room or on your front porch.
Fairly sure you can still back out but depending on state law they might keep the deposit if any. A friend once backed out of a 4runner purchase when we found the same truck for a better deal.
Everything I’ve seen says it’s entirely up to the dealer in most states once you take delivery. But if the dealer still has the car and there’s no financing in place, they should be able to get out of it.
Was a deposit made?
I believe the answers to the questions you asked may have already been answered by the papers you signed. Perhaps I am incorrect.
If you do cancel I suggest you write that down, clearly. Identify the transaction as best you can, in writing, date it and sign it, both of you, make two of those that are identical, sign them both, go to the sales manager if you can and get that person to sign it too. If they won’t take it then put it on the table, take a photo with the employee in it and leave.
Three day cooling off periods usually only pertain to things sold in your home. If you signed a sales contract you are stuck. The dealer has earned his profit and also is one car closer to meeting his quota and has no reason to change it. I am not a lawyer and this is a legal question, not a car question.
Washington State on buying a car.
Your state may vary.
Hi everyone! Thank you for your responses! But we never gave money or fully executed the contract since we were waiting for funds to get wired. So to my understanding even our monthly payments would be contingent on what we were putting down… but if we never put any money down can they still move forward?
My thought is if the dealer has the hope you might buy something else from them it would not be a problem.
If the contract is not fully signed, I wouldn’t think there is a problem.
What does the dealer say?
You really should not be debating this here. Time to get up and write that notice of cancellation of tentative agreement.
No one here can answer that , all that we can do is guess and that will do you no good at all. Have you not talked to the dealer and whoever is the loan company ? If not the longer you wait the worse this situation will get . Since you don’t want the vehicle the dealer might have missed at least one real sale of it and that will not make them happy.
Read your contract. Most likely the answer is yes. I have yet to see a car agreement that favors the buyer. Most dealers do not waste any time. While you’re stewing over it, they have probably moved their end. The longer you wait, the more likely they are incurring costs that will be passed on to you…