Axle boots for 2002 Tundra

Hello All,

I need to have the front axle boots replaced on my 2002 Toyota Tundra V8 4x4 and the Toyota dealer wants to charge nearly $600.00.

Is this a reasonable charge. I know the axle boots themselves cost $84.00 leaving the labor cost at approximately $500.00. Does it really require 4 to 5 hours of labor to replace two axle boots?

Thanks.

Get an estimate from an independent mechanic. It could save you some money. You don’t have to have this done by a Toyota dealer.

I agree with pricing this job around.
Something you should keep in mind is that is often more cost effective to replace the axles rather than reboot them; especially if the truck has high mileage or the boots have been split for a while.

One would hate to spend a chunk of money rebooting them just to turn around and have the axles start failing a month later.

As to the labor charge, that could be about right if you’re talking about boots on 2 separate axles. For 2 boots on one axle it seems a bit steepish.

I personally don’t care for split-boots but that is an option if care to go that route. The old boots are simply cut off, the new ones wrapped around the joints, and screwed/clamped in place. About a 10 minute job, depending.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to look into replacing the whole axle.

Good advice. I am calling the local mechanic today