Autonomous Vehicles

20180427Reflect

I took a picture of the back seat and got this picture instead from the reflection off the window.
Is this going to effect autonomous vehicle maneuvering?

Do you have a serious question?

If autonomous vehicles use cameras to navigate then this would be a problem in need of a solution.

I doubt any autonomous vehicle use a camera that are mount to go through windows, look at a car with a backup camera-the lens does not ā€˜lookā€™ through the back window.

I do not know where the cameras and sensors are mounted for an autonomous vehicle.

Whatever ā€˜sensorā€™ means,

Slept through science class did we?

Seriously, the only thing this will affect is your photo of the back seat.

Someone needs a hobby.

If you donā€™t know what ā€œsensorā€ means then just accept that science-y folks will have your concerns all worked out when these things hit the road.

Besides, why would an autonomous car need to know if someone was in the back seat?

No, but it might possibly AFFECT the maneuvering of the vehicle in question.
:thinking:

1 Like

I think the OP is suggesting that a camera would not be able to see through window treatments like tints or reflective coatings to reduce glare and solar heating. The answer, as everyone above seems to agree, is ā€œnot a problem.ā€ Autonomous vehicles use multiple technologies to ā€œseeā€ the world. Radar, LIDAR, cameras, and other types of sensors and imaging tools. Here is a quick peek at one of the most advanced sensor arrays in development if interested. In my Subaru, which uses dual cameras as just part of its active driver aid system, the glass ahead of the cameras is clear and the manual has a lot to say about not screwing around with that glass (like trying to clean it inside for example). Hereā€™s a picture of it.eyesight%20camera%20close%20up%20my%20pic

So building a car out of mirrors is probably not a good idea.

If sensors are reacting to reflections rather than the actual stimuli then that would be a problem.

1 Like

LIDAR sees glass or a water puddle as a solid object. It bounces light off the object, it reflects back from that object - glass, stone, cement, people - and reads how long it takes to return. Same for RADAR but with radio waves. Same for ultrasonic sensors using sound waves. Each has it strengths and weaknesses.

Cameras have problems with reflections (as you noticed) on glass or water and as such, cannot and are not used for direct distance measurement unless used in pairs, like your eyes. Cameras are used to identify moving things like people, other cars and the landscape.

Autonomous vehicles use combinations of all of these sensors, Fewer for ā€œsmartā€ cruise control and lane-keeping.

Again, I ask, why would autonomous cars need to detect a rear seat or any passenger inside the car. Answer; they donā€™t. They also donā€™t need to detect people or things behind glass. Not hitting glass is part of their mission.

Calm your concerns. There are solutions. There are teams of engineers (with lawyers looking over their shoulders) working on this.

1 Like

Nope.
But one of the pop stars, I think it was Justin Bieber, had one entirely chromed a few years back, also a terrible and dangerous idea. It blinds other drivers when the sun hits it.